You Tube Videos

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Terry

Re: You Tube Videos

Post by Terry »

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-06- ... eze-video/

New Clapton album coming July 29th. Terrific music, great tribute.
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:St. Vincent's song, Strange Mercy, is one of her finest, yet subtlest, achievements to date.  It is intentionally vague in subject, avoiding direct references, but evoking sensations of loss, anger, and deep wounding hurt in the listener, the sources of which are unclear but are conveyed by the acutely emotional numbness in Clark's vocal phrasing.  It appears to be told from the perspective of a mother, whose husband is in prison and who is raising her children by herself.  She and her children appear to have been victims of some unspoken atrocity by a corrupt policeman, and have been left permanently scarred (certainly psychologically and probably physically as well) by the incident.  There is an extraordinary image at the heart of the song, that of a mother talking to her children as they try to fall to sleep - "Oh little one I'd tell you good news that I don't believe if it would help you sleep."  The fragility of Clark's singing as she sings to her little ones suggest a mind so absent that she might be talking - barely audibly - to herself in a croaked whisper.  The heartrending lines, "If I ever meet that dirty policeman that roughed you up, that fucked you up,  I ... I don't know what", say so much about the impotence of her rage at the atrocity that she and her children have suffered as well as the emotional turmoil of a mind that has suffered too much.  Ever since I heard this song on its release in 2011, I have turned it over and in my mind, trying desperately to make sense of it and what it ultimately means.  The pivotal line in this song, "I'll be with you, lost boys, sneaking out where the shivers can't find you", offers a clue, suggesting the horrifying image of a mother euthanising her children - and quite possibly herself - as a means of delivering them from the living nightmare of a cold and hostile world in an act of the strangest of mercies.  An exceptionally powerful song and perhaps the most complete song that Clark has written prior to Severed Crossed Fingers on the current album.

This is a wonderful performance that Clark recorded in the studio for 4AD around the time of the album's release.  The understated delicacy of the patiently constructed guitar solo is particularly notable.  The musicianship is simply there to underpin the dramatic narrative of the song, as is the gentle tenderness with which Clark sings the song.  It all adds up to an intensely haunting experience.

Quite simply stunning.....
mcq

Post by mcq »

Wonderful review from John Kelman here for All About Jazz of Hedvig Mollestad's magnificent new album, Enfant Terrible.  This band are beginning to get some long-overdue traction in the form of critical exposure and live dates in America and I honestly can't think of another band working right now that is more deserving of a breakthrough.  One of the most viscerally exciting bands working the circuit right now.  

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/enfant-terr ... ?width=768

Here's a live performance of The New Judas from a concert in Oslo back in April.  It's really great to see some professionally shot, well-mixed footage of this group in action.  Wonderful to see the sheer pleasure on the musicians' faces as they tear through the music.  Despite their musical skills, this is no virtuosic display but an emotional ride of great intensity.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:Wonderful review from John Kelman here for All About Jazz of Hedvig Mollestad's magnificent new album, Enfant Terrible.  This band are beginning to get some long-overdue traction in the form of critical exposure and live dates in America and I honestly can't think of another band working right now that is more deserving of a breakthrough.  One of the most viscerally exciting bands working the circuit right now.  

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/enfant-terr ... ?width=768

Here's a live performance of The New Judas from a concert in Oslo back in April.  It's really great to see some professionally shot, well-mixed footage of this group in action.  Wonderful to see the sheer pleasure on the musicians' faces as they tear through the music.  Despite their musical skills, this is no virtuosic display but an emotional ride of great intensity.

Ah Paul you've made my day :) Looking forward to perusing it all later. I've been raving about her a while now and it's good to know that like minded music lovers hear what I hear :)

BTW I'm hoping you have some thoughts about the Captain's music too.....Just cannot tear myself away from his astonishing output especially the way he drove his poor maligned band members.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Is that Ry Cooder on the extreme right of the first performance (on a Cannes beach!). The last one is a Howling Wolf cover.....The one in the middle is a Bo Diddley ditty :)

mcq

Post by mcq »

This is wonderful.  St. Vincent performing Bring Me Your Loves recently on Letterman.  Rather like her appearance on the Jimmy Fallon show a couple of years ago where she chose to play a cover of the Pop Group's classic She Is Beyond Good And Evil rather than her latest single, here she chooses to perform arguably the most experimental number on her latest album.  Taken in the linear context of the album, this song takes place in the immediate aftermath of a loved one's death, and in her emotional numbness, appears to blindly crave physical, sexual pleasures, absorbing the ardent loves of her admirers, whilst remaining aloof from any kind of emotional attachment.  And yet, she finds herself at the mercy of her most basic human need, which she has tried so very desperately to suppress, which is to love others. "I thought you were like a dog but you made a pet of me."

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
tony

Post by tony »

Enough St Vincent! Here is something a bit different.Nigel might even use it for testing. Sound check takes about 7mins so have a cuppa tea at the beginning
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Utterly astonishing, Tony.  Miles in Vienna 1973.  Have you heard Get Up With It, Dark Magus, Agharta and Pangea?  There's a lifetime of the most incredible music buried within these dark grooves.  The man just kept going, constantly moving, expanding, advancing until he collapsed in exhaustion, wracked with ill health and beset with numerous addictions, following a concert in 1975.  We're still catching up with him because he wasn't in any mood to wait.

tony

Post by tony »

Will try some of that stuff out Paul. Have one of them on DSD not sure which but need to convert it to play it. Some of the list I never heard of.

Update: Agharta ordered after youtube listen. Rocking groove, this aint no disco This aint no party This aint no foolin around. Decided to take pangaea also as it was the last copy.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
mcq

Post by mcq »

You won't regret it, Tony.  Also investigate Can, and specifically their masterpieces, Tago Mago, Future Days and Soon Over Babaluma.  After you've absorbed this extraordinary music, go back to Remain in Light and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.  No great music happens in isolation, it's cemented on a firm bedrock of inspiration and influence, and it never stops giving back.  Byrne and Eno knew exactly what they were doing.