the photography thread

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
fergus

Re: the photography thread

Post by fergus »

Fran wrote:Great stuff Fergus. Those patterns are great - its not something I've ever really shot but your images are putting a goo on me for them.

Cheers Fran. Abstracts and patterns can be very rewarding visually. Once one trains oneself to see them they are all around us. I look forward to seeing some of your efforts in the future.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have completed scanning my batch of Monochrome Prints so I am going to finish up my contribution of B&W images with is one....

It was a study for a project that I started but never completed. I had developed a number of visual concepts but unfortunately they never reached completion.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Airfield September 2014188 (786 x 800).jpg
Airfield September 2014188 (786 x 800).jpg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Mamiya C220 TLR, 80mm lens, 6x6, Kodak TMAX 100, F4, 1/60th.

I have heard some describe TLR's as a bit of a joke.... but I do, and continue to enjoy using it.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
fergus

Post by fergus »

Adrian wrote:

I have heard some describe TLR's as a bit of a joke.... but I do, and continue to enjoy using it.
I have never used a TLR myself but not for that reason. I imagine that they could be a bit fiddley while composing due to the lack of a pentaprism; the rocking to and fro would require some getting used to I imagine.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

fergus wrote:
Adrian wrote:

I have never used a TLR myself but not for that reason. I imagine that they could be a bit fiddley while composing due to the lack of a pentaprism; the rocking to and fro would require some getting used to I imagine.

For the uninitiated.... a TLR generally ends up with a skewed photo.... not really possible to give to somebody else on the street and ask them to take a photo of yourself etc.

But one quickly develops a technique for lining up and getting things level and square etc. I can get the camera level in a few seconds. One thing I did miss on the camera was a self timer... unfortunately none present. Why they left that out I just don't know... silly really. Other than that the C220 was / is a great camera... very rugged and strong.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
fergus

Post by fergus »

Adrian wrote:
For the uninitiated.... a TLR generally ends up with a skewed photo.... not really possible to give to somebody else on the street and ask them to take a photo of yourself etc.

But one quickly develops a technique for lining up and getting things level and square etc. I can get the camera level in a few seconds. One thing I did miss on the camera was a self timer... unfortunately none present. Why they left that out I just don't know... silly really. Other than that the C220 was / is a great camera... very rugged and strong.
I have seen a number of wedding photographers use them in days of yore.
MooseTrackz

Post by MooseTrackz »

I'm hoping this is the correct thread to post this in, so here goes. I need to take good digital images of products that I make to upload onto a website. I'm not really sure how to go about this in terms of the gear required. I need to eliminate flash reflections on the surfaces, so I think I'll need some sort of lighting scenario but not sure what is needed. Also suggestions for neutral backgrounds. I use a Canon Powershot mounted on a tripod with a built in flash.
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
ooooooooooooooooooh i like that
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Depending on size - get yourself something like the ebay item below:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/80cm-32-Lighting ... 3f3477d82b

Then use 2 lights one either side to throw light on to the object inside the tent but in a diffuse way without any bright reflections. Turn off the flash on your camera and adjust the white balance to match the lights. Take your shot and have a look on the laptop/PC screen at how it looks. It will take a few goes to get best results.

Here's a fairly good video on it:

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try
fergus

Post by fergus »

Fran wrote:ImageSea in slow motion by francis morrin, on Flickr