Quad ESL 57 speakers

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Dowser

Quad ESL 57 speakers

Post by Dowser »

Oh well, sanity prevails - one pair of my Quads needs to go...

A pair of black Quad ESL 57 speakers, 329xx serial numbers. EHT units rebuilt a couple of years ago, they sound great (but I cannot justify 57s and 63s). Come with power leads.

I'm moving country in a few weeks, quick sale needed - €500.

Also see my separate ad for some DIY stands to raise these up off the floor higher.

Thanks, Richard
Dowser

Re: Quad ESL 57 speakers

Post by Dowser »

Looks like I'm going to accept an offer of €400 for these - any members here interested at this price?

Richard
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Christ that's tempting. I wonder would I ever use them at all at all...?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:Christ that's tempting. I wonder would I ever use them at all at all...?
yes you would... and you could sell them on in a while for that money too.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

The reason I'm extra-tempted is that my amps are (apparently) lauded as being a perfect match for the ESL57s. In fact, when researching my amps the best source was a thread about ESLs on a Chinese website.

Dowser, I'll mull this over for an hour or two!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

if you can lend yourself €400 for a few months you may end up selling your current speakers.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's highly unlikely!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

well you'd have the choice.

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ivor wrote:well you'd have the choice.
Ivor, are you not a bit warm in that red devil suit with the horns and the cloven hooves? And what are you doing on my shoulder anyway?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

If I was standing on your shoulder you wouldn't be able to type! (for months).

I came home from the hifi show yesterday and fired up the oul' valves. Now I heard some great systems yesterday but when I dropped the needle on some vinyl at home I was 100% content with my lot. No Vitus envy, no coveting my neighbours DcS. Quads aren't for everyone but that balance of forensics and invisibility is hard not to love. I just think you'd love it too. There.