Music computer advice please

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
iain

Music computer advice please

Post by iain »

Hi, i am on the hunt for a Lampi 7 and trying to decide what to feed it with. I have seen a second hand Item Audio T1gen iv for £875. It has an intel i3. Would this be a good place to start? Or am i better off starting from scratch? If so. Where!!!

I feel confident about assembly and general soldering.

Thanks

Iain
Diapason

Re: Music computer advice please

Post by Diapason »

Iain, you're in the right place!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Item Audio T1 gen iv
is that not current edition ?
what components is in it?
items audio pc's are probably better than most, although there's no problem building your own with a wide variety of options

theres lots of reading and research done here
heres a couple of threads
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2823&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2832
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
iain

Post by iain »

Thanks guys.

Spec i3 ivy bridge, pico psu, SOtm usb, upgraded with oscon caps. 4g ddr3 ram, 500gb ssd. I have already got a 3tb hd. Made in 2014

Will take a look at those links.

I suppose I am wondering if the price on the above makes it a good starting point, or a scratch build better value and easier to get better performance.

Thanks for the help.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

is the pico been powered via a power brick?

whats the building budget?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Clean Linear or Battery Power.
USB out through separate clean powered USB Card.
Reduce all clock frequencies on your PC.
Isolation device on your USB line to DAC.
USB Regen.
WTFPlay.

You are probably half way there with what you have but as Nige asks it depends on your budget.

Cheers, Pearse.

Post by iain »

The pico would be powered from a mains filter (currently in use for rest of system apart from power amp)budget max £2k in total, but would prefer to get going and upgrade later. I.e start with something cheaper and upgrade up to a £2k total, realising that likely to keep going beyond eventually!

So is this T1 a good starting point at the price? Or better to buy new parts and case etc? Presumably starting with a higher spec processor?

Thanks

Iain
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

iain wrote:The pico would be powered from a mains filter (currently in use for rest of system apart from power amp)budget max £2k in total, but would prefer to get going and upgrade later. I.e start with something cheaper and upgrade up to a £2k total, realising that likely to keep going beyond eventually!

So is this T1 a good starting point at the price? Or better to buy new parts and case etc? Presumably starting with a higher spec processor?

Thanks

Iain
not what i meant
is the pico powered by a linear supply or one of these smps

you can put a high end processor in it if you want
i consider it a waste of upgrading money
audio pc mostly all about noise and jitter not horse power

you will likely build new and more modern cheaper than with the older t1

power supply is a great place to prioritise something like this
http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Fanless-3 ... utput.html
iain

Post by iain »

Not sure about the pico psu, but if i could do better with a scratch build, i will try and land the Lamp first.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will be back!

Cheers
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
iain wrote:The pico would be powered from a mains filter (currently in use for rest of system apart from power amp)budget max £2k in total, but would prefer to get going and upgrade later. I.e start with something cheaper and upgrade up to a £2k total, realising that likely to keep going beyond eventually!

Thanks

Iain
not what i meant
is the pico powered by a linear supply or one of these smps

you can put a high end processor in it if you want
i consider it a waste of upgrading money
audio pc mostly all about noise and jitter not horse power

you will likely build new and more modern cheaper than with the older t1

power supply is a great place to prioritise something like this
http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Fanless-3 ... utput.html
I want to convert my Zuma with Pico/Brick into every day PC, but I dont have the connector what brings 12V into the Pico.
Any idea what kind of connector I need and were I can find?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS