MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

sima66 wrote:
sima66 wrote:Thanks a lot Gordon! :)
I will try tonight.
I changed the mqnrewrite.bat, but it still doesn't work in Z!
I'm getting this:

https://s17.postimg.org/zes3kzwwv/20161 ... esized.jpg
looks like it can't find paste.exe

not sure about the use of the out directory, my file1.txt is in c:\mqnrewrite\

assume you have cd z:\mqnrewrite\out at start of bat file, I have cd c:\mqnrewrite
sima66

Post by sima66 »

As for the new v272 version, I don't remember a biger jump in quality!!
Compared to the last v271, there is more body, details, transparency! Usualy is very hard to get those things together!
So relaxed and detailed.........I'm very impresed!
Thank you!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
sima66

Post by sima66 »

sbgk wrote:
sima66 wrote:
sima66 wrote:Thanks a lot Gordon! :)
I will try tonight.
I changed the mqnrewrite.bat, but it still doesn't work in Z!
I'm getting this:

https://s17.postimg.org/zes3kzwwv/20161 ... esized.jpg
looks like it can't find paste.exe

not sure about the use of the out directory, my file1.txt is in c:\mqnrewrite\

assume you have cd z:\mqnrewrite\out at start of bat file, I have cd c:\mqnrewrite
That was exactly the problem! :)
FIXED!!
Thanks again!

EDIT:
It was totaly worth the trouble! ;-)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

Control 122, Loader 111, and Play 272 sounding really great together, Gordon. Thank you.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Gordon,
is there any hope for HiRez with MQn, or is more complicated then it looks?!

After mqn I can't listen to any other player, but also I miss my big HiRez collection!

In the worst case scenario, I'm thinking to covert the HiRez into 16/44! Which will be stupid as it sounds! :)

Again, in any case, thanks for everything what you already did!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Test post
Do or do not, there is no try
Beresford

MQN - Beginner's Guide

Post by Beresford »

I have put together a Beginner's Guide to MQn - attached (if I could attach a txt file). Hope it's useful.
Maybe it could be pinned to the start of the topic.
--------------------------------------------------------
MQn setup - Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 - 6 Dec 2016

MQn music player for usb audio is notoriously difficult to set up, but the effort is worth the frustration.
It runs a very minimal audio renderer to minimise the influence of all the extra processing done by most player software and Windows itself. It produces no error messages, or messages of any sort - once started, it just plays music. These notes may help you set up MQn if you are new to it.

A. Downloads

1. The MQn download site (run by the creator, sbgk) is on Google drive - you may need the Chrome browser to download. The "Main" folder has the latest versions and will play .wav files at 44/16 only.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... DhNZ1Utbm8

2. Download these files for your system:-
mqncontrol, mqnloader, mqnplay (I find I have to delete any * in the save name)
Also mqn.bat, paste.exe, mqndevinfo, mqnparam.txt, stop.bat
Optional: rewrite.exe & .bat, foobar files.
All the exe files have extension names including the version. Rename the extension to .exe when you copy everthing to the root folder, eg. C:\Mqn

3. To play files other than wav, download mqnload.exe from Christoph (and read his notes).
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u71wm4ki02vdvg6/p-DhIcn5L0 Put it in the root folder.

4. Use mqndevinfo.exe to obtain the usb port/driver string. If it does not work (see below), you will need to download ks_64_config.exe from the extras folder in the download pages of "aplayer 64bit" from
http://vv.uka.ru/aplayer_eng.html

B. Hardware and OS requirements

(The mqnreadme.txt from the MQn download site dated Sep 2013 has been superseded. MQn now uses Kernel Streaming, not Wasapi, it doesn't run under W7 or W8, and once started it has no user input)

1. MQn runs under W10 (Home or Pro) or Windows Server 2012 R2 (including 6 month trial version - free). The Server versions may run under W8.1. The main software exe's are labelled as W10, 2012R2, and SSE4 (for pre-Haswell processors). You only need one set.

2. You will need a PC running an Intel 64-bit processor (but it may work on some AMD processors).

3. All versions written in 2016 require a PC with an Intel Haswell or later Intel CPU (processor number starting with 4 or more, eg 4020), as they use a larger and more efficient instruction set (AVS2). Earlier processors, and some AMD processors perhaps, use just the SSE4 instruction set. If you have one of these (use CPU-ID to find out) you will need to download the older (Dec 2014) versions of mqncontrol, mqnloader, and mqnplay marked SSE4. Other MQn software elements will run on any recent Intel processor.

C. Configuration

1. Choose and load your dac usb driver; the driver must enable KS (Kernel Streaming).

2. Choose a usb port. Plug in DAC and turn on. Subsequent config only applies to that particular port,

3. Run mqdevinfo to create mqnparam.txt, which is a pointer to the hardware and its driver. If it fails (which is the case on my laptop, a Lenovo TP410), run ks_x64_config.exe which puts port info into a.ini

4. Put port information from a.ini (omit first few characters - slashes etc - there is an example in the downloads) into C:/Mqn/mqnparam.txt. The file mqnparam.txt should have a second line with just a single character channel number, eg. 0 - try 1,2, or 3 if 0 doesn't work.

5. Run paste.exe to put this port information into mqncontrol.

6. Set mqncontrol.exe to run as admin, unnecessary for mqnloader or mqnplay.

7. Don't run anything in W8 or W7 compatability mode.

8. Put ffmpeg.exe and flac.exe in C:/Mqn/data (see Cristoph's notes on which version of each to download).

D. Runtime

1. Select a wav file or a folder containing wav files (other file types will be ignored). Use ctrl/c or r/click copy.
2. Run the mqn.bat file in C:/Mqn, by double clicking, or setting up a shortcut, or a hotkey.
3. mqnloader will load the file into memory (5-30secs) and kick off mqnplay, putting the music filename in a text window.
4. mqnplay will play until it has finished, then exit. It does not output any messages.
5. The batch file mqnstop may terminate playing. If not, use the Task Manager (ctrl/alt/delete) to find the two mqn tasks, right click and select "end task" to terminate.
6. If you wish to play flac, m4a, mp3 etc files, then mqnload.exe from Cristoph is very useful. Select a file in the same way, then run mqnload. It will convert files to wav, using ffmpeg.exe or flac.exe, then use mqncontrol and mqnplay to play them.

E. Extras (I have not tried these).

1. Rewrite wav files (and software?) in memory. Use mqnrewrite.exe
2. Set task priority and affinity (allocates tasks to a specific processor core).
3. Trigger mqn as part of Foobar.
4. Some earlier versions (there are several hundred from 2012 to 2016) run hires files; Gordon tried out lots of options, including hires, on users in the pursuit of the best audio software. You will need to delve into his "archive" folder and the "Tir na hifi" message board (800 pages!!!) to find these.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2418&hilit=Peter_T&start=8000
5. Some notes on Randy Such's blog may be helpful:
http://randytsuch-audio.blogspot.co.uk/ ... setup.html
6. Current developments involve a version using the microsoft "usb2 audio" drivers, soon to be part of W10.

F. Basic Windows tweaks

1. Disable UAC, File indexer, Virus checker, Visual themes, Display scaling, and Software updates.
2. System clock?

Apologies for any errors or ommissions. Beresford.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

recompiled with vs 2017 rc, seems to make a small worthwhile change/improvement.

rewrite v57, control v123, loader v112, play v273

obviously not better than the best, but if you're on windows it's as good as I've heard.

can anyone understand the reply I got to a question about usb 2.0 ? see below

Hi,
can play via ds and wasapi using foobar2000, but no ks device is available. Is this a limitation of the driver and if so are there plans to provide ks functionality ?
cheers

Maurits [MSFT]
Maurits [MSFT] replied on September 6, 2016See post history
Microsoft
ReplyIn reply to sbgk's post on September 4, 2016
The USB Audio 2.0 driver uses Kernel Streaming via the new "realtime packet streaming" property KSPROPSETID_RTAudio / KSPROPERTY_RTAUDIO_SETWRITEPACKET that was added in Windows 10 RTM.
I see the MSDN page for KSPROPSETID_RTAudio is missing this property. I have filed a bug to add it.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx
There is documentation for the driver side of things, namely the IMiniportWaveRTOutputStream::SetWritePacket method:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... f19dbf4d2b
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Nice improvement again!
More details and relaxed! Very impresive!

Will it be to much to ask for the rewrite "Z version"?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded z drive rewrite version

tested the f1 using portaudio ks via squeezelite and that works, so there some hope of getting ks to work with the ms usb 2.0 driver.

Saw someone say that the latest win 10 preview build deletes any non ms usb drivers, which isn't very polite.