MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
satshanti

Re: MQN

Post by satshanti »

sbgk wrote:did an avx amd version as well
Thanks, Gordon, I'll compare it with the regular avx version and report back.
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

satshanti wrote:
sbgk wrote:did an avx amd version as well
Thanks, Gordon, I'll compare it with the regular avx version and report back.
5.95 not very good, 5.97 better.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

5.97 is good vs 5.14
Opened up and better flow
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jrling

Post by jrling »

nige2000 wrote:5.97 is good vs 5.14
Opened up and better flow
Any chance we could have 5.14 & 5.97 in SSE2 to compare?

Thanks
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
satshanti

Post by satshanti »

I tested a range of old and new 16/44 plain avx today, with contenders being 3.39 no pre, 4.29, 4.82, 5.07, 5.51, 5.76 and 5.95.

And I must say: WOW! The regular avx version of 5.95 is awesome! I still slightly prefer 3.39 over it, but the dedicated amd avx version is yet another step forward in my system, and with 16/44 it now finally beats 3.39 as my favourite. I must put this a bit more into perspective though.

To my ears musicality = accurate timing across the frequency range = coherence = solid sound stage = realism. As the good old 100000 combo and 3.14 before it, 3.39 does this really, really well, both in 16/44 and in 24/96, and this is where it gets interesting.

There has been a time in my life, the odd 25 or so years ago, when I had a system costing a lot of money, and by all rights it should have sounded great, but it didn't. I could hear a lot of detail, but it never got my feet tapping. The timing was off, and I never managed to fix it or find out where in the chain this was caused. In the midst of this struggle, I was visiting a friend who had a cheap ghetto blaster, and it just sounded great! As much as the sound of it was coloured, and as little as the detail was that came out of it, the frequencies it did manage to play were all in perfect timing, and that's what to my ears, and I think for many others too, is a decisive factor in perceived realism.

So obviously it's much easier to get all frequencies aligned and perfectly in tune when there's less detail. That's why we get these milestones versions that sound great and then we move on through a phase in which there's more detail, but something is off and just doesn't sound right: no reverb, no soundstage, bad timing, no alignment. Our brains are unable to engage. And I think that the more MQN evolves, the more detail is retrieved, and the more of a challenge it is to get the timing right for all that is perceived. The more one is able to pick up, the more there is to be disturbed about and could cause a collapse of perceived realism. Of course, this quest is still a worthwhile pursuit, because when things do align again and perfect timing is finally achieved, we get a synergetic boost of musicality + detail = brain orgasm! :-)

Version 5.95 avx amd is still not quite as coherent and rock solid, and subjectively still doesn't have that same perfect foot-tapping timing as 3.39 avx has in my system, but in a way it's not fair to state it that way. 5.95 has loads more detail, and for now that's enough to skip the balance. I must also add that the timing is really very good in 5.95 as well. Like I said, the more detail, the more difficult to get that timing spot on subjectively. That's just the way our brain works. The journey goes on, and that's half the fun, not just the goal. :-)

WELL DONE GORDON !!!
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 5.98 avx2, 2 more arithmetic operations replaced by bitwise operators.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:uploaded 5.98 avx2, 2 more arithmetic operations replaced by bitwise operators.
5.98 is good
5.99 nothing better everything worse dumbed down version
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Is 5.98 that good? If so can we have an avx and sse2 version?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Is 5.98 that good? If so can we have an avx and sse2 version?
:)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... UTF8&psc=1
jrling

Post by jrling »

nige2000 wrote:
tony wrote:Is 5.98 that good? If so can we have an avx and sse2 version?
:)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... UTF8&psc=1
Tempter!

Seriously, are you saying that this board is a good performer for MQn? Better than others, or is it the low price for AVX2 that you are pointing out?
I know that you have blown up more mobos than I have had hot dinners! So you should know what's good and not so good. I use a Maplin XM21M and Pico-PSU and will not be changing that.

I like the lowest power CPU that does the MQn job for my completely dedicated audio PC. What competitively priced CPU would you recommend for a mobo like this?
My DH61DL does not allow underclocking (or any performance changes) in the BIOS, but I know that you like to underclock and assume this one does?

As always thank for your help.

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub