AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picoless)

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picole

Post by Aleg »

minionas wrote:....
A bit offtopic: my haswell does not handle AVX2 MQN versions (dos boxes stay, no errors, but also no sound) or the problem is somewhere else... <-- ANYONE WITH SOME HELP OR IDEAS :)?
Minionas

Are you still able to check the Windows Event Viewer or have you reduced the services of the Windows OS with AudiophileOptimiser or something like that?

In my experience not running AVX2 while the DOS Box remains open is due to autorisation issues.
In Event Viewer under Applications, you will see that mqnplay.exe has crashed with Exception code 0xc0000005. This is an indication of insufficient autorisation.

Try these settings:
- set the checkbox "Run this program as an Administrator" on both mqncontrol.exe and mqnplay1644.exe. You do this by right-click on those files and select Properties. On the second tab called Compatibility, click the checkbox "Run this program as an Administrator" and click OK.

- also try to make a new directory in c:\ and download the files into that new directory. Sometimes I notice Windows 'remembers' 'things' with respect to mqnplay.exe from older versions in a directory.

I can be fussy to get it running but once it does you won't want to go back.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
minionas

Post by minionas »

Aleg wrote: Minionas

Are you still able to check the Windows Event Viewer or have you reduced the services of the Windows OS with AudiophileOptimiser or something like that?

In my experience not running AVX2 while the DOS Box remains open is due to autorisation issues.
In Event Viewer under Applications, you will see that mqnplay.exe has crashed with Exception code 0xc0000005. This is an indication of insufficient autorisation.

Try these settings:
- set the checkbox "Run this program as an Administrator" on both mqncontrol.exe and mqnplay1644.exe. You do this by right-click on those files and select Properties. On the second tab called Compatibility, click the checkbox "Run this program as an Administrator" and click OK.

- also try to make a new directory in c:\ and download the files into that new directory. Sometimes I notice Windows 'remembers' 'things' with respect to mqnplay.exe from older versions in a directory.

I can be fussy to get it running but once it does you won't want to go back.

Cheers

Aleg
Aleg,

Thanks for the tips.
I'm running stripped W2012 server OS, so i can not trace Event log. I'm also always making new folder for new MQN version. But i will try your authorisation tips!

UPDATE: Got it working by ticking "Administrator" (which alone was not sufficient) and "Compatability" (windows 8) tabs. Thanks again Aleg!!
Last edited by minionas on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:Unfortunately, I had no success in going picoless with Intel S1200KPR board. When booting I get two long beeps twice and then the power on led goes off. I checked all voltages in the ATX-24 connector and they are ok. It seems that the power good signal must be delayed.
dont need to use power good wire any time i tried to use it resulted in no boot, al wires you need is the +5, 3.3, and 12 gnd and 5v standby
then you need to make sure theres no loose connections adequate current on demand/cable size
also remember no one has reported this board working picoless without the -12v though i cant see why it wouldnt
Anyway, I was already considering buying the Asus H81i-plus mobo because I would like to play MQn avx2.
Nige2000, I see in your signature you are using an I3 processor. Which one? Why did you choose an I3 instead of an I7? Wouldn't an I7 give more flexibility if JPlay improves and betters MQn?
kinda like the cheap haswell msi boards work oob, little trouble
i3 is much cheaper,
but id doubt an i7 would sound worse maybe not better either
r u into videogames/rendering :)
i7 gives you more options i suppose
but its a bit like a guy that cant swim with a 300m waterproof watch
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

minionas wrote:I just finished a fully working picoless pc build:
MSI B85M-G43 + Haswell I5 4670T + 8GB + PPA SATA CABLED SSD OS with PPA alluminium block + PPA USB + 3M 5100S "box" covered RAM sticks + 3M 5100S sheet under motherboard.
Power supplies at the moment are:
1. Single transformer powered dual rail PPA 12V regulator:
a) - 1 x ATX;
b) - 1 x CPU;
2. Dedicated audio quality transformer powered Audiowind A-270v2 regulated 5V rail - ATX;
3. Dedicated audio quality transformer powered Audiowind A-270v2 regulated 3,3V rail - ATX;
4. Dedicated audio quality transformer powered Audiowind A-270v2 regulated 3,3V rail - PPA Clock module (upgraded "South bridge clock" on motherboard);
5. STONTRONICS single rail 5V linear to Nimh battery pack with Mundorf M-Lytic AudioGrade power cap - SSD;
6. STONTRONICS single rail 5V linear to Nimh battery pack with Mundorf M-Lytic AudioGrade power cap - PPA USB.

All on my PC is connected to single STAR GROUND point on copper bar. ALL the wiring is done with silver plated copper wires in teflon.

Closest plans:
install a LIFEPO4 3,3V cell into PPA clock rail;
install a OS USB and leave SSD for music files storage (ordered USB Sandisk 32GB flash drive and plan to power it with dedicated rail + LIFEPO4); <-- ANYONE DONE THIS WITH GOOD RESULTS COMPARING WITH OS ON SSD (interested only in W2012 server OS) ?
add LIFEPO4 on CPU and all ATX rails;
change STONTRONICS with dedicated audio quality transformer powered Audiowind A-270v2 very low noise regulators and add LIFEPO4;
to do more of 3M 5100S shielding; <-- ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OF PLACES WHERE IT MIGHT GIVE A GOOD RESULT?
to do the DC wiring noise insulation with cotton/alluminium foil combo.

Before going picoless, had a same system just with PPA 12V pico and without no. 2, 3 and 4 power supplies and without STAR GROUND. Going picoless and doing a STAR GROUND brought me lower noise floor and stronger bass, which was apparently noticeable since first seconds of my test tracks.

A bit offtopic: my haswell does not handle AVX2 MQN versions (dos boxes stay, no errors, but also no sound) or the problem is somewhere else... <-- ANYONE WITH SOME HELP OR IDEAS :)?
Congrats
Any pics
Would be great to see it

Last time I checked ssd plus lifepo4 wasn't too far behind the usb3 and 3.3 lifepo4
Best to try for your self
I find it convenient

If you put say 2 or 3 cells together for 3.3v mobo you can also use these to power the clks without any disadvantage
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

"kinda like the cheap haswell msi boards work oob, little trouble"

Nige2000,

Did you have any trouble going picoless with the h81i-plus? My case is Streacom FC8 Evo and it supports mini-ITX only.
Which I3 CPU are you using?
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:"kinda like the cheap haswell msi boards work oob, little trouble"

Nige2000,

Did you have any trouble going picoless with the h81i-plus? My case is Streacom FC8 Evo and it supports mini-ITX only.
Which I3 CPU are you using?
The h81i plus you have to load your bios settings profile at every cold boot because it senses something out of sorts
Never less it works perfect

I assume msi has a h81 itx board?

Any i3 is fine ive got a 4130 and 4230 I think
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

Yes, MSI has h81 mini-ITX but the position of the ATX-24 connector makes it harder to passive cool the CPU.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:Yes, MSI has h81 mini-ITX but the position of the ATX-24 connector makes it harder to passive cool the CPU.
I've put that type of board in a FC8 before
Just have to bend the heatsink pipes a bit
Not too difficult
Wells it's possible anyhow

Don't use a h87 or Z87 though noisy
minionas

Post by minionas »

My mess in the process:

Transformers & regulators allum. box:

ATX Side:

Clock side:

Center:

AUDIOPC:

Not very clean still, as still some tidying-up and re-arranging to do:)
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

minionas wrote:My mess in the process:

Transformers & regulators allum. box:

ATX Side:

Clock side:

Center:

AUDIOPC:

Not very clean still, as still some tidying-up and re-arranging to do:)
Lol
some tiding up to do
really !!!!
Have you seen my test build it needs a little tiding up
Ha ha
You've really set the build quality bar pretty high for the rest of us

Marvellous piece of work minionas
Try to keep the signal wire as short as possible for the clocks I think it will have influence
Are you using lifepo4 for the clocks?