Streacom FC5 Case Audio PC Builds

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sligolad

Streacom FC5 Case Audio PC Builds

Post by Sligolad »

Decided to start this thread for those considering an Audio PC build using the rather tight but compact Streacom FC5 case.
Going to just post pictures initially to show some of the tight and not so tight builds possible inside this case.

Re: Streacom FC5 Case Audio PC Builds

Post by Sligolad »

Streacom FC5 with Asus server Mobo requiring the long version Heat Pipes to be bent over the memory and fed with a Teradak Linear ATX supply with cables coming in through the back opening.

Post by Sligolad »

Streacom FC5 with Gigabyte H97M-D3H Mobo with standard Heat Pipes (no Bending required) and Teradak Socket fitted to back panel. This fitting was more difficult than using the position indicated in the previous picture as it required more cutting but suited with the smaller PPA USB Card used.
The standard Teradak loom was broken into to provide an additional 20 pin ATX for second audio PC, hence all the additional black wiring.

Post by Sligolad »

Two Streacom FC5 Cases stacked showing different options for placement of Teradak Socket.

Post by Sligolad »

Close up of rear of second Streacom FC5 case fitted with Teradak Socket, I used long brass riser hex nuts often used for Mobo Installs as these can be easily held while fitting the socket.

Post by Steve »

Excellent stuff Pearse, these photo's will be a definite help!

After pondering all my options and the inputs given in the CAPSv4 thread, this build will be the start of my "Adventures in Computer Audio".... Very much based on hearing the results from the 2 x CA sources that you've covered above and which gave such great results when paired with the Lampi's and my speaker/amp setup.

So have ordered and awaiting delivery of:
- Streacom FC5 Alpha case
- Gigabyte H97M-D3H Mobo
- Intel i5 4460 cpu
- Low profile HyperX Savage 16GB DIMM
- Samsung 1TB 850 Evo ssd
And in the process of ordering a Teradak ATX-210 PSU.

Nige, thanks for the shopping list in previous thread! Just need to look for the right instructions book now...

Not sure yet on combo of USB card and cable so will focus on getting basic build sorted before moving on to these.

Once up and running, this should give me a strong enough CA source as a platform to then move on to checking out various DAC's. (mind you, have probably heard the top of the mountain ala Pearse's Big 7!)
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

looks like a lot of hassle
think id either start with an streacom fc 10 or retrofit some fanless getup in a fractal node 605
the extra room will make things much easier
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

If I was starting again with what I now know Nige I would seriously consider the FC10 for my main Audio Pc as there is a lot in there now, it is still the same old Zuma case I started out with about 3 years ago so it has served me well so far!!

If going with a server Mobo then the FC10 would be the better option as well to get over the RAM.

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:If I was starting again with what I now know Nige I would seriously consider the FC10 for my main Audio Pc as there is a lot in there now, it is still the same old Zuma case I started out with about 3 years ago so it has served me well so far!!

If going with a server Mobo then the FC10 would be the better option as well to get over the RAM.
lol

when u got the caps zuma im sure you had no idea what mayhem was to follow?

i bought the fc 10 it was pricy bout €300 odd, truly an excellent case i got tried of the testing/building time/restrictions of a case
i still have it its got a battery ps system in it just needs an itx mobo

id imagine there would still need to be a small bit of bending of the heatpipes for ram sticks but should be easy enough
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Steve

Post by Steve »

Aye, would agree that the FC10 is an easier starting place. But for my current setup, space is at an absolute premium. Might literally just squeeze in the FC5 under existing rack, FC10 certainly won't fit.

But having heard Pearse's setup in action, quite happy that sufficient can be managed inside the FC5 case.
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM