DIY Regen Battery tweak

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: DIY Regen Battery tweak

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 pm It's running off a LiFePo4 battery with constant charging!

I noticed much better an cleaner highs.
Honestly, I'm so happy with my system, that I could not imagine how will Regen be able to improve more! But, it did! :)
My USB chain is this:
JCAT Femto => JCATUSB cable => JCAT Intona => USB adapter (with silver wires) => Ifi 2 USB => Regen (JK moded) => USB adapter => Sonicweld => BNC/BNC adapter => Wadia.

This is the USB adapter that I made from CAT 5E Ethernet cable. Probably with better wire will sound better, but this one was the best I had at the moment!
Due to continuous USB "choo-choo train", I needed to do in the 90 degrees angle!

What would be the best wire to use for adapter?
You know you could replace "JCAT Intona => USB adapter (with silver wires) => Ifi 2 USB => Regen (JK moded)" with a nice neat ISO-HUB which houses a USB isolator (better than Intona) + USB reclocker/reformer (better than Regen even battery powered) & all running off 2 LiFePO4 batteries with chargers, all cased up in a black case

See my new website for details - www.ciunas.biz
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tims

DIY Regen Battery tweak - using the internal TPS7A4700 regulator for the 5v output?

Post by tims »

Hi all

After the battery mod has been done, I believe it's possible to connect a link between the USB input and output to get a +5v output out of the Regen.
Crom wrote:
"To get my hand back in I've done the Regen battery tweak but now need to make sure that 5v is present on the o/p. So...quick sense check - I think I'm fine with just connecting the 5v USB input with the 5v output (ie connect the USB connector pins together across the regen board. Do you see any problems with this - ie feeding 5v back into the o/p of the REG5 - and would I be better with cutting the traces on the board?"

"Yes, crom , you should be safe bridging the 5V across the board - it won't blow up the 5v reg"

Uptone describe the Regen's cleaned 5v output here:
"The USB REGEN's secondary function is that it disconnects the computer's noisy 5 volt bus power coming down the USB cable, and provides clean 5VBUS on its output--for DACs that need it—via a second ultra low-noise regulator (a TPS7A4700)"

My question is; I'm not sure but I think the wired link described above bypasses(?) this second TPS7A4700 internal regulator and I'm wondering if it's somehow possible to continue to use this TPS7A4700 regulator with the battery mod installed?

To do this, would one option be to use the external power supply (the meanwell ps) and maybe cut a pcb trace so the battery mod is isolated from the meanwell ps circuit or can anyone suggest any other method to somehow use the internal TPS7A4700 for the 5v output?

Thanks
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Hi Tims
I'll have a look at this tomorow & let you know what can be done!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tims

Post by tims »

That's great, thank you.
jkeny wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:07 am Hi Tims
I'll have a look at this tomorow & let you know what can be done!
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Didn't get a chance to test this today, took some photos with my phone but all are blurred - I'll take some decent pics tomorrow & post
www.Ciunas.biz
tims

Post by tims »

Thanks - look forward to it.

Tim
jkeny wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 pm Didn't get a chance to test this today, took some photos with my phone but all are blurred - I'll take some decent pics tomorrow & post
tims

Post by tims »

Hi John

May I ask: did you find in the end that it is actually possible to use the external PS togeher with the LiFePO4 battery mod by modifying the pcb board?

Thanks again

Tim

jkeny wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 pm Didn't get a chance to test this today, took some photos with my phone but all are blurred - I'll take some decent pics tomorrow & post
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Sorry, Tim, I forgot about this - I simply inject the 5V to the correct pin on the output USB port

tims wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:52 pm Hi John

May I ask: did you find in the end that it is actually possible to use the external PS togeher with the LiFePO4 battery mod by modifying the pcb board?

Thanks again

Tim

www.Ciunas.biz
tims

Post by tims »

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I'm having a dense moment and not sure what you mean. This 5V injection still bypasses the Regen's on board TPS7A4700 regulator? i.e. connecting the 5V USB input with the 5V output ie connect the USB connector pins together across the Regen board as described before.
Is this what you mean and I can't use the Meanwell PS to feed the TPS7A4700?

Cheers

Tim

jkeny wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:15 am Sorry, Tim, I forgot about this - I simply inject the 5V to the correct pin on the output USB port

tims wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:52 pm Hi John

Thanks again

Tim

sima66

Post by sima66 »

I'm still using the JKenny mod for Regen powering at 3.3V with one A123 battery.
Now I want to ad one 3.3V LT3045 regulator between and I need to raise the battery voltage at the LT's input so the LT drops the voltage to 3.3V at the output.
The question is how high I can go with the voltage to the A123 battery without damaging anything?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS