Lossless SD digital Player is computer audio now reborn?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Lossless SD digital Player is computer audio now reborn?

Post by nige2000 »

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
gstew

Post by gstew »

Still waiting on mine to make its way to rural Mississippi... at least now the tracking number is indicating some progress in its journey.

Greg in Mississippi
jrling

Post by jrling »

I know that I work for a software house and so I would say this wouldn't I, BUT has anyone had a look at the software (aka firmware) that is driving the FPGA in this player and/or SDTrans?

nige is clearly going that extra mile on the hardware front, but that still leaves the software side as a possible limiting factor.

As we have found with MQn and now WTFPlay, the rendering code in the player can have a profound effect on SQ.

I expect the FPGA code is not available but those who have bought may be allowed.

Thanks

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

That is the reason I went with the SDTrans.

But for all we know those who have no regard for IP may well have stolen the firmware from the SDtrans.

I think after Nigel finishes this thing I am sure it will be good. The question is was it worth the time?

Until someone in Ireland gets a SDTrans it will be a mystery as to whether it is as good, better, or ...

Sometimes that is the key to audio peace, not knowing those kinds of things. Sure works for me Half of the pleasure one gets from DIY is never hearing someone in the COMPONENT OF THE MONTH CLUB telling you there is something ever so slightly better available.

There is a fellow at AUDIO ASYLUM who says if the difference between two components is less than the difference in turning his head slightly sideways while listening he knows he does not need it. That is good advice.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:That is the reason I went with the SDTrans.

But for all we know those who have no regard for IP may well have stolen the firmware from the SDtrans.

I think after Nigel finishes this thing I am sure it will be good. The question is was it worth the time?
modding this is relatively simple and fast its the dac thats tricky
Until someone in Ireland gets a SDTrans it will be a mystery as to whether it is as good, better, or ...
im hoping pearse will cave
Sometimes that is the key to audio peace, not knowing those kinds of things. Sure works for me Half of the pleasure one gets from DIY is never hearing someone in the COMPONENT OF THE MONTH CLUB telling you there is something ever so slightly better available.

There is a fellow at AUDIO ASYLUM who says if the difference between two components is less than the difference in turning his head slightly sideways while listening he knows he does not need it. That is good advice.
i test with standard wire and long cabling for cost and ease if its better it will be much better

software is a weak spot of mine im barely able to flash firmware on these chips nevermind programming
id doubt anyones going to provide source code it wouldnt make good business to release it
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Is there not a way to get the code from a FPGA? Is it a one way door?

Did not think you were a coder!
jrling

Post by jrling »

Actually what made me think it might be available was this line in nige's £75 Chinese player in a box -
Under SD card with the firmware update function, we released Firmware APP.bin directory on the SD card, boot update, the update takes only 1-2 seconds, firmware deleted without deleting not affected.
So that inferred they would supply firmware for updating.

HOWEVER, that almost certainly is compiled executable not the source code. But thought I would ask.

Code for a FPGA is no different in concept from any other computer player code. Written in various languages and compiled to an executable which cannot be read.

Actually, it could make very good biz sense. If there was an ability to improve the code, then it could create an audiophile following much as the Soekris has.

Rick - the code for the SDTrans is very custom for that board. I doubt it even uses the same FPGA chip as nige's. So rest easy!

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

It would not bother me if the SDTrans firmware could be stolen. I bet it would make the makers upset.

I am very happy I got what I did.

I have had more time to devote to other projects like the ripper which is essential.

What is lost there can never be got any other way ...

Got it where I think it is basically done - just bits and pieces to remove as time goes by. Now re-ripping everything.

Might just get those batteries installed this weekend along with the trick txcos.

But the sound I am hearing is so far beyond what I have had before I am not that motivated to make the change. I like to get bored with the system A LITTLE BIT before making a modification.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

rickmcinnis wrote: But the sound I am hearing is so far beyond what I have had before I am not that motivated to make the change. I like to get bored with the system A LITTLE BIT before making a modification.
LMAO
I'm the same way, I get lazy for a while and just listen, but then I want more better and start tweaking again.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

randytsuch wrote:
rickmcinnis wrote: But the sound I am hearing is so far beyond what I have had before I am not that motivated to make the change. I like to get bored with the system A LITTLE BIT before making a modification.
LMAO
I'm the same way, I get lazy for a while and just listen, but then I want more better and start tweaking again.
think hes just gone down that river in egypt

"this device is perfect in every way there is nothing i can do to improve it"