wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
frd1996

wtfplay project - it's official

Post by frd1996 »

I am pleased to announce that wtfplay is now official.

wtfplay is my attempt to create minimalist Linux based, PC music playback
environment. Initially I wrote the music player software, later I built a
dedicated Linux distribution for it. It is called wtfplay-live.

In this project, the top priority is the sound quality rather than a number of
features. Try it and let me know what you think.

The downloads and the documentation can be found at http://wtfplay-project.org

The official support thread is on diyaudio:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based ... ystem.html

I will will be answering some queries there as well.

At this point I would like to thank guys on this forum who have been testing this for me. Many thanks for your valuable feedback.

wtfplay is still work in progress and in time new features will be added to it, so stay tuned for updated.

Enjoy.

F
Sligolad

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by Sligolad »

I have to say it has been my great pleasure having the opportunity to get some time with wtfplay at the Beta phase.
Bottom line it is the best player I have heard to date for music reproduction and all other software based players (paid for and free) have been resigned to the bin since I first heard wtfplay.

My tricked (and expensive) dual PC setup has now also been replaced with a single PC made even better by no need for an operating system SSD.
A big recommendation from me!!
Cheers, Pearse.
Last edited by Sligolad on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by nige2000 »

whoop whoop!!!!!!
it a long time since i wondered "what was done to get a laptop sounded like that"
to our good fortune it had been adapted, improved and improved for pc :)

this player has the lowest noise operating system for audio pc's that i have tried
other linux players ive tried lack resolution (daphile been the pick of them) but this is comparable to resolution of mqn/jplay but more natural or realistic for a more enlightened and enjoyable experience
there are some settings to play with if you wish but to be honest its just real fine tuning

highly recommended
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Top player! Downloading and setup is so easy and the supporting documentation is excellent.
Highly recommended. Suggest if anyone has any operational difficulties or queries post them in this thread or in the official support forum.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Even though I have moved on from using the computer there is no question WTF, in my experience, is a revelation.

I look forward to hearing the excitement this player is going to evoke.

The purist's computer player.

If you cannot put up with the limitations that this player imposes you might have to reconsider your audio motivations. I am speaking of UI.

And the best part is, I suspect, it will only get better and better.

Player and OS should be unified - it is the only way.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Wow....so simple, so GOOD!!!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

It does need network access.
For me it is unworkable without network access, it can be NFS, but I need to be able to select my files from network drives.

---------
Update:
Sound quality is very good.
Tested using files that happened to be on my local ssd.
Last edited by Aleg on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jrling

Post by jrling »

As a tester myself, I complete second sligolad and nige2000's comments, which I couldn't put any better.

The scary bit is that this is just v.1 really. There are definitely more developments in F's mind to come (he won't share them with me!) and other hardware platforms could yield even more amazing results.

F has kept to his minimalistic principles and a big thumbs up from me on that. If you want Networking/fancy graphics with cover art and Internet connection, then look elsewhere.

Thanks F.

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

jrling wrote:As a tester myself, I complete second sligolad and nige2000's comments, which I couldn't put any better.

The scary bit is that this is just v.1 really. There are definitely more developments in F's mind to come (he won't share them with me!) and other hardware platforms could yield even more amazing results.

F has kept to his minimalistic principles and a big thumbs up from me on that. If you want Networking/fancy graphics with cover art and Internet connection, then look elsewhere.

Thanks F.

Jonathan
No fancy stuff internet graphics or any of those gimmicks.

Just network access to my NAS which is where I maintain my music collection.
Don't feel like running up two flights of stairs just to get another few tracks.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
tony

Post by tony »

Fryderck started this about a year ago and popped around every now and then trying to get a track to play. As Nigel stated he had a working version of sorts at Fran's annual get together that was impressive initially. Testing over the year still had it behind the MQn set up but Fryderck kept plugging away sorting out the bugs etc. I took no notice really let him at it didn't expect the end result Pearse,Ken and Nigel have outlined.

Result is really a big leap and would suggest all the CA men here give it a whirl. There is a learning curve if using command line but SQ is so worth it. It renders 2012R2 and AO unnecesary, runs in ram but no need to go through the whole ramdisk set up. Plays all resolutions and even plays DSD files even though Fryderck hasn't developed that yet.

Looking forward to what people think about it.

Aleg: Suggest getting a USB key and try it and report back. I can see you considering getting a local disk to get around the network issue. Fryderck may work on this type of option going forward but I think most of us will prefer his efforts go on improving what is already possibly the best lager in the world!

Many thanks to Fryderck for the large amount of time and effort he put in to this.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.