What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:Quartetto Italiano vs. Quatuor Mosaïques is an interesting discussion guys. Both are truly excellent performers but if I had to chose only one I think that I would probably also come down on the side of the Quatuor Mosaïques.
Except maybe for the Ravel & Debussy quartets LOL!

I must take that CD down and listen to it again to see what you do not like in it Pepe. Two wonderful works I must say.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

More Handel....

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:Quartetto Italiano vs. Quatuor Mosaïques is an interesting discussion guys. Both are truly excellent performers but if I had to chose only one I think that I would probably also come down on the side of the Quatuor Mosaïques.
Except maybe for the Ravel & Debussy quartets LOL!

I must take that CD down and listen to it again to see what you do not like in it Pepe. Two wonderful works I must say.
There´s nothing I don´t like in that glorious recording Fergus! I meant that it we prefer the Quatuor Mosaïques in Mozart to Beethoven, we must except 20th Century repertoire because they didn´t play it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote: There´s nothing I don´t like in that glorious recording Fergus! I meant that it we prefer the Quatuor Mosaïques in Mozart to Beethoven, we must except 20th Century repertoire because they didn´t play it.

That is a relief Pepe LOL!!!
I totally misunderstood you and I simply could not remember anything at all that was wronr with that performance. Relief!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have just finished listening to Stanford's Symphony No. 5....

....and I was very impressed with the quality of both the work and the performance. The Irish Rhapsody No. 4 was also a very good listen. I hope that the other two CDs that I bought recently of Stanford's symphonies are even close to this one!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I have just finished listening to Stanford's Symphony No. 5....

....and I was very impressed with the quality of both the work and the performance. The Irish Rhapsody No. 4 was also a very good listen. I hope that the other two CDs that I bought recently of Stanford's symphonies are even close to this one!
Interesting Fergus. Why did you choose that recording over the Bournemouth performances on Naxos? Just curious. The Ulster Orchestra are a very fine ensemble indeed.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Interesting Fergus. Why did you choose that recording over the Bournemouth performances on Naxos? Just curious. The Ulster Orchestra are a very fine ensemble indeed.
It was not the orchestra that I opted for Seán but rather the conductor, Vernon Handley. I have a symphonic cycle by Bax which is conducted by Handley and it is very good. Bax was an Englishman who had a great affinity for Ireland so I guessed that the musical sentiments between Bax and Stanford would not be a million miles apart. So, if Handley did so well with Bax then Stanford should be at least as good in terms of interpretation and presentation; such was my thinking.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Handel Messiah... very enjoyable indeed.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
It was not the orchestra that I opted for Seán but rather the conductor, Vernon Handley. I have a symphonic cycle by Bax which is conducted by Handley and it is very good. Bax was an Englishman who had a great affinity for Ireland so I guessed that the musical sentiments between Bax and Stanford would not be a million miles apart. So, if Handley did so well with Bax then Stanford should be at least as good in terms of interpretation and presentation; such was my thinking.
Thanks for the response Fergus. I was wondering why you picked Handley and the Ulster Orchestra and now your response makes sense, I hadn't made the mental connection with Handley's interpretation of Bax, good on you, enjoy.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Adrian wrote:Image

Handel Messiah... very enjoyable indeed.

Glad that you enjoyed it Adrian....were you singing along to it?