Max Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor, Op. 26

Seán

Re: Max Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor, Op. 26

Post by Seán »

Hi Fergus, this is a lovely thread, it's a very fine read, well done. I will deliver my thoughts on Bruch's delightful piece later this evening.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening this evening to a recent purchase, a recording of the Bruch coupled with the second Prokofiev violin concerto, as performed by the young Norwegian violinist Guro Kleven Hagen in her debut recording.  She exhibits a finely judged balance of refined delicacy and youthful vibrancy, and, crucially, a sense of playfulness which escapes many older violinists.  These are exceptional performances that are beautifully lyrical whilst retaining a crispness and a lightness of touch in their pacing and in the clarity of the string textures.  Serious comfort food which cries out for the repeat button on your CD player.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Hi Fergus, this is a lovely thread, it's a very fine read, well done. I will deliver my thoughts on Bruch's delightful piece later this evening.

Thank you Seán; I look forward to your contribution.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:Listening this evening to a recent purchase, a recording of the Bruch coupled with the second Prokofiev violin concerto, as performed by the young Norwegian violinist Guro Kleven Hagen in her debut recording.  She exhibits a finely judged balance of refined delicacy and youthful vibrancy, and, crucially, a sense of playfulness which escapes many older violinists.  These are exceptional performances that are beautifully lyrical whilst retaining a crispness and a lightness of touch in their pacing and in the clarity of the string textures.  Serious comfort food which cries out for the repeat button on your CD player.

That statement certainly piques my interest. In fact it sounds like a good recommendation overall!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

This is the only version I have of this work although not this cover, its part of a boxset. Some wonderful virtuosic playing by Mutter here but being honest I think she's outshone here by the soaring BPO at the hands of HvK. Enjoyable concerto although I always have a preference for Mendessohns Violin Concerto which also features on the boxset I have.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

the Mendelssohn I just discovered recently when I got this.... it's beautiful....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

The Mendelssohn and Bruch violin concertos seem to be traditional stable mates when violinists go into a recording studio. Perhaps that is a direct throwback to the days when both concertos could easily fit onto an LP.