What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

Hi lads,

I have been very quiet of late mainly due to a prolonged and very annoying bout of tinnitus. Thankful, it hasn't prevented me from listening to music altogether but it has curbed my enthusiasm somewhat to talk about it. I have had this damn affliction on and off for two and a half years and of late it has got worse...hopefully, if the last two days are anything to go by it will ease up.

Sorry about the moan....now back to the music.

Thanks,

Seán
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Hopefully you will get well soon Seán. I told you before that a musician friend of mine suffers as well so I can appreciate your difficulty.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
mcq

Post by mcq »

I am so very sorry to hear about your troubles with tinnitus, Sean.  I hope you find some blessed relief in the next day or so and can return to your music in comfort.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Oh that´s painful Seán! Hope you get better soon, and of course some Mahler can´t hurt.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Concluding the evening's listening with a recently released disc of chamber music by Galina Ustvolskaya and a wide ranging piano recital encompassing music by Ravel, Takemitsu and Messiaen.  Exceptional music in wonderful performances.  Strongly recommended.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Oboe concertos by Bellini and Cimarosa, a flute and oboe concerto by Salieri and a cor anglais concerto by Donizetti....

Seán

Post by Seán »

Thanks for the kind words lads, iI do appreciate it. I have found solace in Mozart, Beethoven and Bach's incomparable Magnificat.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Thanks for the kind words lads, iI do appreciate it. I have found solace in Mozart, Beethoven and Bach's incomparable Magnificat.

What efficacious medicine!!
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening this morning to a recital of solo violin repertoire by Liza Ferschtman.  A demanding programme on display here, comprising Bach's Partita No. 2 for solo violin, Biber's Passacaglia for solo violin from his Mystery Sonatas, Bartok's Sonata for solo violin and Berio's Sequenza VIII for solo violin.  There is a surgical precision about the way in which Ferschtman hits her notes which is compelling as it feeds into the rhythmic pulse of each piece, highlighting the dramatic and creative tension of each of these four works.  All of the music is performed with a fearsome intensity that is tempered with a notable clarity of thought.  A superb violinist and a treat of a CD.

mcq

Post by mcq »

Continuing the day's listening with a recent purchase, a complete recording of Rameau's works for harpsichord, as performed by Ketil Haugsand.  Whenever I listen to Rameau's music, what strikes me very forcefully is just how full of life they are, in as much as they run the complete emotional gamut, from joy to sadness, from laughter to contemplation.  They are the product of a man who has lived well, absorbed the vicissitudes that life has to offer but remains undaunted, a proud testament to the human spirit.  And so it is with this wonderful performance from Haugsand that is notable for its elegance, refinement and the intelligence he brings to bear on this wonderful, life-affirming music.