What are you listening two?

cybot

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by cybot »

Seán wrote:
cybot wrote:I just knew there was something amiss. Welcome back and, hopefully the accursed tinnitus will continue to ease off. I too suffer with the same affliction but it has never impeded my enjoyment of the music thank God. It tends to thrive in very quiet environments but, to tell the truth, I've learned to ignore it.....
Thanks for your good wishes Dermot. The tinnitus has calmed down considerably, so much so that yesterday I listened to Schubert's first six symphonies and Rossini's, L'Italiana in Algeri, all under the direction of the incomparable Maestro Abbado, so I am 'on the mend' as they say.

That is indeed good news. Enjoy!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

This is something all violin concertos aficionados will enjoy. Bernhard Molique was a violin virtuoso and composer in the mid XIX Century. Born and trained in Germany he became concertmaster in Württemberg before moving to London because of the social unrest in Germany. There he became a member of the London Academy of Music and played in both symphonic and chamber music concerts.
These 2 concertos are very demanding from a technical point of view, neither of course is a masterpiece in the league of the Beethoven or Brahms concertos, but both are enjoyable and tuneful. Anton Steck, once concertino of Musica Antiqua Köln has what it takes to face both works, so we get another glimpse to what was being performed at the time of Mendelssohn and Brahms besides their own music.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

This recording reproduces the funeral service of the great Jean Philippe Rameau in 1764. Basically. it´s Jean Gilles´gorgeous Requiem that has been recorded often plus some pieces by Rameau himself.
The Messe des Morts is well done, but there have better recordings, notably Herreweghe´s, but still this new one is very well recorded and enjoyable.
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

The vocal miracle of our time. Once more Fagioli dazzles, thrills and marvels. He must be Marilyn Horne´s evil twin.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Supraphon continues his fascinating survey of XVIII Century Czech music. These sonatas by Benda, Jiranek and Gurecky certainly, maybe even inevitably, show the influence of Corelli and perhaps some other later Italian composers like Locatelli, (most of these sonatas were composed in the mid XVIII Century, but Corelli still is there) but they all are lovely and fresh. Lenka Torgersen has a sweet and immaculate sound, so amply recommended.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Oh dear, so much music and so little time. Thanks Pepe.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

Supraphon continues his fascinating survey of XVIII Century Czech music....

I think that Supraphon is a great label; one of my favourites in fact. They have always put out good quality, unusual and interesting music.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

And they have managed themselves (talking of Supraphon) rather better than their cousins Hungaroton.
Supraphon not only improves as a label, they also help their artists improve themselves, you can really hear how much better Czech musicians, especially HIP, have improved in the past 10 years.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:And they have managed themselves (talking of Supraphon) rather better than their cousins Hungaroton.
Supraphon not only improves as a label, they also help their artists improve themselves, you can really hear how much better Czech musicians, especially HIP, have improved in the past 10 years.
That is very true Pepe, as demonstrated on that particular series.