What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I have been recently working my way through Klemperer's monumental Beethoven cycle and finished tonight with a rather good Beethoven 9....

It's a splendid cycle.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

It´s been a long time since Archiv has offered us something really interesting, but finally here is a valuable recording, a Componimento Teatrale per Musica by Antonio Caldara. What do we understand by "componimento teatrale?", well, it´s a staged cantata, not really an opera, but rather a festive serenata sung in costume to celebrate Emperor Charles VI´s wife Elisabetta´s name-day in southern Moravia. It must have been quite an occasion at the Znojmo Castle, Giovanni Carestini, the famous castrato that later sang the title role in Handel´s Ariodante sang the part of Apollo [appropriately sung in the recording by Franco Fagioli], also the famous tenor Gaetano Borghi was present singing Mercurio, and the castrato contralto Gaetano Orsini sang the role of Giove. Quite an occasion for sure. The work predictably is both brilliant and noble, scored for 4 trumpets, oboes and strings, shows the usual Caldara invention and refinement.
It´s a live recording, rare for a work such as this, but the sound is fine. It also benefits from the aristocratic playing of the Swiss orchestra La Cetra, a big improvement on Andrea Marcon´s usual band The Venice Baroque Orchestra.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Opera Rara has slowed down a bit since the Peter Moores Foundation grant was taken from them, but they are making better (if fewer) recordings, casting them better and choosing rather better conductors.
Offenbach´s Fantasio, never before recorded is a valuable addition to the discography. It´s not really an operetta like La Perichole or La Belle Hélene, but rather an opéra-comique, and it´s very, very good.
The music is sophisticated and elegant, but never missing Offenbach´s geniality, I can´t understand why no one recorded it before, but the waiting was worth it, it´s splendidly sung by Sarah Connelly and Brenda Rae and the playing of the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment is fabulous.
Like the Caldara above, quite a find!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Among yesterday's listening, Stravinsky's Petrouchka with Haitink....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have been playing through the John Field Piano Concertos again. I have this set on CD but I was lucky to find a vinyl box set recently....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Among yesterday's listening, Stravinsky's Petrouchka with Haitink....

That is my favourite recording of Petrouchka, I have it on cd with Le Sacre, it is wonderful.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony no 1

Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich
David Zinman conducting.

Oh this is marvellous, I love it.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony no 2

David Zinman conducting.

Very enjoyable performance and beautifully recorded too.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Among yesterday's listening, Stravinsky's Petrouchka with Haitink....

That is my favourite recording of Petrouchka, I have it on cd with Le Sacre, it is wonderful.
I am not up to date with the musicology of Stravinsky's work but I understand that this performance is the original version of the work. I must compare it to the later version sometime to hear what the differences are.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony no 1

David Zinman conducting.

Oh this is marvellous, I love it.

I am delighted that you are enjoying Zinman's Beethoven thus far Seán. I remember that you have a particular regard for Nos. 1 & 2. I remember that I did a comparison for myself many years ago between the von Karajan 1963 cycle and the Zinman cycle and although not as totally "complete" or quite as powerful as the von Karajan, the Zinman readily held its own in that comparison. I never have any hesitation whne recommending the Zinman Beethoven cycle. You will also find that he is very good in the music of R Strauss when you further delve into that box set.