What are you listening two?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Jose Echenique »

mcq wrote:Many thanks for that, Jose. I have to confess that the singing of Obraztsova did not particulaly offend me.  I also have Prêtre's version and, despite the formidable presence of Jon Vickers, it just does not move me as much as Barenboim's version.  There is a transparency to the textures that he draws out of the orchestral score that I find very attractive - very much lighter than Prêtre. And, of course, Domingo is incredible as Samson.  I will certainly investigate the later version with Chung whose version of Verdi's Otello with Domingo was quite superb.  And I have no doubt that Waltraud Meier is a vast improvement on Elena Obraztsova.  Meier is one of the greatest modern interpreters of some of the most punishing roles in the operatic repertoire  -  namely, Isolde and Kundry  -  so the role of Delilah should be comparatively easier.  By the way, have you heard any of Colin Davis's versions of this work?
The problem with the Pretre version is Pretre himself, a very dull reading, and what a pity because with Rita Gorr and Jon Vickers it could easily have been the greatest Samson et Delila of all time (this version could have been conducted by Monteux or Markevitch, just imagine that!).
The Barenboim shows that this opera really needs to be well conducted to make it´s mark, and Chung´s just bursts with drama and sensuousness. He has the enormous advantage of the marvelous Bastille orchestra, superb in every department and excellent EMI sound too. It´s fascinating to hear how much better French orchestras have become in the past 25 years, when France started putting serious money into culture.
And of course Waltraud Meier´s Delilah is formidable like no other, sung in perfect French she can be seductive and voluptuous one moment and deadly and vengeful the next. If you have heard her Kundry you will know what to expect.
Both Colin Davis recordings are enjoyable but flawed. The first in Philips has a Carmen and a don José instead of a Delilah and a Samson. I love Agnes Baltsa, and she is never less than very good, but Delilah needs a bigger and perhaps darker voice. José Carreras is 2 sizes too small for Samson, and sounds much too young for the role. In the Philips Davis has the superb Bayerischen Rundfunks forces at his disposal, and the choral and orchestral parts are tremendous. In his second recording he has another Russian mezzo, but Olga Borodina has a smoother and easier on the ear voice than Obraztsova. The real problem is the rough and inelegant Samson of José Cura. But overall I would say that Chung´s is the most vital, electric and satisfying version of the opera.
Seán

Post by Seán »

So what does the lad do on Beethoven's birthday? Listens to Bach, that's what:

Johann Sebastian Bach
BWV 91; BWV 110; BWV 121 & BWV 40

This is FANTASTIC music, words cannot do it justice, it is perfect!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:So what does the lad do on Beethoven's birthday? Listens to Bach, that's what:

Johann Sebastian Bach
BWV 91; BWV 110; BWV 121 & BWV 40

This is FANTASTIC music, words cannot do it justice, it is perfect!
I am sure that Ludwig would have approved Seán.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Monteverdi: L'Orfeo....

....wonderful!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:Monteverdi: L'Orfeo....

....wonderful!
The one strange thing about Jacobs´recording is the title role. Lawrence Dale made of French Romantic opera his specialty , I don´t think he ever sang in an XVIII Century opera let alone Monteverdi. He has an attractive voice and is not really bad, it´s just that he sounds...a little like Villazón ha,ha.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:
The one strange thing about Jacobs´recording is the title role. Lawrence Dale made of French Romantic opera his specialty , I don´t think he ever sang in an XVIII Century opera let alone Monteverdi. He has an attractive voice and is not really bad, it´s just that he sounds...a little like Villazón ha,ha.

Without knowing any of that Pepe [and thank you for the information] I enjoyed the performances but I subconsciously felt that the voice was quite strong for Monteverdi.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Currently enjoying this recent purchase....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Christmas Carols and Motets sung by the Tallis Scholars....

Seán

Post by Seán »

I listened to the last movement on Lyric tonight. This was my first time to listen to it and I was mightily impressed. I thought of you Fergus.

Anton DVORÁK
Cello Concerto in B minor

National Symphony Orchestra
DANIEL MÜLLER-SCHOTT cello
ALAN BURIBAYEV conductor
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler