Stock check: Schumann Symphonies 1-4

fergus

Stock check: Schumann Symphonies 1-4

Post by fergus »

Following the recent purchase of the Harnoncourt version of the Schumann symphonic cycle I decided to stock check my catalogue of these cycles. I have the following versions:

Gardiner: Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique [Archiv Prod.]
Goodman: Hanover Band [RCA]
Harnoncourt: Chamber Orchestra of Europe [Teldec]
Herreweghe: Orchestre des Champs-Élysées [Harmonia Mundi]
Kubelik: Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra [Sony]
von Karajan: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra [DG]
Sawallisch: Staatskapelle Dresden [EMI]
Solti: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra [Decca]
Szell: Cleveland Orchestra [Sony]
Zinman: Tonhalle Orcherser Zurich [Arte Nova]

I do also have a small number of performances of individual symphonies.

I am looking for recommendations for any essential set that is missing from the above list. I am not interested in DVD performances so I look forward to any CD recommendations that you might have.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Re: Stock check: Schumann Symphonies 1-4

Post by Seán »

I have the following complete sets of Schumann Symphonies in my collection:

Chailly: Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra (Mahler Edition) [Decca]
Sawallisch: Staatskapelle Dresden [EMI]
Bernstein: New York Philharmonic Orchestra [Sony]
Bernstein: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra [DG]
Szell: Cleveland Orchestra [Sony]

Nine years ago I threw my heart, soul and money into classical music. I immediately latched on to Stravinsky and Mahler and then quickly sought out recordings of Bruckner, Rachmaninov and Schumann, why I don't know, perhaps (CMG's) Jack Kelso and Ken had influenced me. I soon progressed to Haydn, Beethoven and so on. The first Schumann set I bought was the Chailly and that was because Mahler had re-arranged it. I quite liked it and bought the Sawallisch recordings and gradually acquired more performances. I have to confess though that I rarely listen to any of my Schumann (Bruckner or Rachmaninov) cds now, I'm afraid. I don't know why to be honest I suppose it's because I have so many recordings that get my attention before they do. I can't comment on either of the Bernstein sets as I can't remember the last time I listened to them, isn't that a shocking admission.

After that long winded response, the Sawallisch ands Chailly are very good indeed.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thanks for that Seán.
In relation to buying lots of CDs initially upon starting a collection and then not listening to some of them in time is, I think, quite natural. That is simply a process of establishing one's taste for specific composers or genres. I think that we have all done that to some extent as part of our learning curve.

So, if one does not fancy Schumann, then so be it. However, he is a composer that does require a little "work" and will reward the effort. I would always recommend that newcomers to Schumann's symphonies should start with No. 3 [Rhenish], then No. 1 and finally Nos. 2 and 4. Symphony No. 3 is a particularly fine work I think.
Seán

Post by Seán »

I will return to Schumann. The Third is my favourite of the four. You might like the Chailly.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

My own first choice would be Gardiner´s on period and Kubelik´s on modern, but I would like to add the Sinopoli with the Dresden Staatskapelle, a very lovely set too.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:My own first choice would be Gardiner´s on period and Kubelik´s on modern, but I would like to add the Sinopoli with the Dresden Staatskapelle, a very lovely set too.

I find that Sinopoli usually had something different or unusual to say so his take on the Schumann symphonic cycle might be very interesting. Thank you for pointing that one out Pepe.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:My own first choice would be Gardiner´s on period and Kubelik´s on modern, but I would like to add the Sinopoli with the Dresden Staatskapelle, a very lovely set too.

I find that Sinopoli usually had something different or unusual to say so his take on the Schumann symphonic cycle might be very interesting. Thank you for pointing that one out Pepe.
Sinopoli´s are less willful than one might expect, this time he let´s the music speak for itself, but what makes his set really special is the glorious playing of the Dresden Staatskapelle, they are just as marvelous as they were for Sawallisch in the early 70´s.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
Sinopoli´s are less willful than one might expect, this time he let´s the music speak for itself, but what makes his set really special is the glorious playing of the Dresden Staatskapelle, they are just as marvelous as they were for Sawallisch in the early 70´s.
I just might buy that Sinopoli set Pepe. It would be interesting to hear both versions with that same orchestra.