To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
markof wrote:Image

I've been on a deep dive into the recordings of Fabio Biondi and Europa Galante in the last couple of weeks and very satisfying it was.
Both he and they display a high standard of musicality; performing with imagination, invention, verve and a passion often missing from many other outfits and putting them firmly in my all time favourite musicians.

This recording was just one of the many outstanding performances which I heard during this trawl and is strongly recommended.

Mark.

I would endorse your sentiments regarding Biondi and Europa Galante in general Mark. They are a wonderful ensemble and always seem to bring something new to old works.
'Fabulous' Biondi never disappoints. Enjoy.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:The wonderful Sibelius Symphony No. 2....

Well, I am in Edinburgh for a few days this week and far away from my collection so I have to be content with the pleasure of others, enjoy.

Is that a good performance (although, we don't always want the same in performances of these marvellous works). I am curious to learn what you make of it.

Yes I did enjoy it Sean; it was a strong performance. I am partial to Monteux and I find that he does not often disappoint.

Enjoy Edinburgh!
Thanks. It's work! Glad to learn you like that recording. I haven't listened to Sibelius for some time. I must revisit him at the weekend.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
Thanks. It's work! Glad to learn you like that recording. I haven't listened to Sibelius for some time. I must revisit him at the weekend.
Yes, I thought that might be the case. You can enjoy and indulge yourself upon your return. Sibelius would never be far away from my playlist I must admit; I love his sound world.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven: Violin Concerto....

This vinyl is a recent purchase. One obviously knows of the Kreisler cadenzas used in many violinists’ performances of the Beethoven violin concerto but I had not heard Kreisler himself playing the concerto before now. What an amazing performance it was with both technical and lyrical ability abounding. The sound quality was amazing considering that the performance was recorded in December 1926.
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:Image

That looks interesting.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Kicking off my Easter listening with the hauntingly beautiful Allegri's Miserere....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jommelli: Lamentazioni per il Mercoledi Santo....

....comes with a high recommendation for content and performance.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Gregorian Chant: Lamentations of the Prophet Jeremiah from this CD....

....beautifully sung.