What are you listening two?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:Image

What a really tremendous work this opera is and it is given a wonderful performance here. I really liked the performances of the vocalists.

They all sing splendidly, especially the great Anatoly Kotcherga in the title role. Perhaps only Samuel Ramey sounds a little foreign, not really ideal as Pimen, but he is never less than good, but the stand out is Abbado himself, his love for the score is literally palpable.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

What a really tremendous work this opera is and it is given a wonderful performance here. I really liked the performances of the vocalists.

They all sing splendidly, especially the great Anatoly Kotcherga in the title role. Perhaps only Samuel Ramey sounds a little foreign, not really ideal as Pimen, but he is never less than good, but the stand out is Abbado himself, his love for the score is literally palpable.
I have been lucky here Pepe because that is the first time that I have heard the complete work; I certainly picked a good version to start with! I had previously only heard a "Highlights" LP but I had heard enough on that to know that it was both a quality work and that I would be interested in hearing the complete opera.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Early morning, Early Music....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Powerful music given a powerful performance here. The music is quite celebratory in places.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Schumann: Symphony No. 3 / Kubelik....

Seán

Post by Seán »

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
String Trio in E flat major KV 563

François Fernandez (violin)
Ryō Terakado (viola)
Rainer Zipperling (cello)
I have had this on repeat play today as I try to get my head around this piece. The Grumiaux set mentioned earlier this week is on order from Zoverstocks.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Ryō Terakado (viola)

I have had this on repeat play today as I try to get my head around this piece. The Grumiaux set mentioned earlier this week is on order from Zoverstocks.
I made the mistake of trying too hard at the beginning Seán so take it slowly, movement by movement and just let the permeate under your skin.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5 / Kertesz....

....a wonderful version of this great work.
james

Post by james »

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Ryō Terakado (viola)

I had never heard of this piece but, since all the mention of it on this thread, I have looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divertime ... 8Mozart%29

The term Divertimento is misleading since -- according to the article -- it is quite a substatioal work. Mozart wrote it towards the end of his life [in the same year as symphonies 38, 39 and 40].

Here are some quotes about the work ..

"......
Alfred Einstein writes in Mozart: His Character, His Work (and as excerpted in the notes to a Kennedy Center performance), his only completed string trio (there are fragments) shares with most divertimenti this six-movement format, but from that no lightness of tone should be understood – rather, "it is a true chamber-music work, and grew to such large proportions only because it was intended to offer ... something special in the way of art, invention, and good spirits. ... Each instrument is primus inter pares, every note is significant, every note is a contribution to spiritual and sensuous fulfillment in sound." Einstein called it "one of his noblest works."

Mozart's Divertimento in E-flat major is "one of a kind," according to the notes to an Emerson Quartet performance. "It is not only Mozart's only finished composition for string trio – it also appears to be the first such work by any composer." Though probably the first substantial work for the combination, it is not the first work written for string trio; there were works for violin, viola and cello written at least five years earlier, by Wenzel Pichl, and works for two violins and bass, probably based on the trio sonata, written much before that.
....."

If we still had the Listenning Project this work would be a perfect candidate.

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Ryō Terakado (viola)

I made the mistake of trying too hard at the beginning Seán so take it slowly, movement by movement and just let the permeate under your skin.
I haven't started taking it one movement at a time yet. I am inclined to listen to the whole work in a sitting. I will start doing that in a day or two. It is great music and this is a very fine recording.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler