Soundtracks, any favourites/recommendations

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Soundtracks, any favourites/recommendations

Post by cybot »

Buy or stream full album.

Ah John that's brilliant! Assumed it was one if those impossible ones to get. Thanks a million :) Hope all is well with you?[/quote]
Your welcome Dermot,all is well here.Hope all is well with you Dermot.That's a good show it gets mixed reviews but like music reviews
it's only someone else's opinion.You can watch Utopia season one on c4 on demand..[/quote]

I'm well John thank you. Glad to hear all is well with you and family. Missed the show the first time round. Must have a look on YouTube sometime. C4 on demand means nothing to me lol!

I see Norman Records are doing it too. Though they're only doing the yellow version. I can the 'proper' black version from your link :) Must give it a proper listen before I commit myself though knowing me I'll buy it anyway as long as there's no hint of commerciality ;)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Here's two versions of the same thing. The original and the expanded reissue. The first one I picked up in an HMV summer special sale and the second one from Death Waltz. The first thing that struck me immediately was the recurring piano motif which is beautifully captured in the recording. Though nowhere in the sleeve notes does it mention that a piano was actually used....
I've always loved what John Carpenter brings to soundtracks despite the over familiarity of that accursed Halloween theme :) Anyway this is simply stunning.....with an expansive sound and that last track (Reel 9) is simply a glorious march into hell :)

1980 - German version on the Varese Saraband label (Colosseum)

IMDb

The inhabitants of Antonio Island, off the coast of Oregon, are about to unveil a statue honoring the four men (Castle, Wayne, Williams and Malone) who founded their town in 1871. Nick Castle is one of the descendants of the men, and owns a fishing charter company, using his vessel, the Seagrass, for tourism. When his girlfriend Elizabeth Williams returns to the island after spending six months in New York, a bizarre series of events begin to occur, including several gruesome deaths and the presence of a mysterious fog. When Elizabeth slips in Nick's boathouse and falls into the sea, she finds an old journal from 1871, written by Patrick Malone, one of the town's founders. It tells how a man named Blake bought half the island for use as a leper colony. While bringing his people to Antonio Island in their clipper ship, the Elizabeth Dane, Blake is betrayed by Castle, Wayne, Williams and Malone. The four men locked Blake and his people in the vessel, stole their money and possessions, and then set fire to the ship, killing everyone aboard. In the present day, the ghosts of Blake and his crew have risen from their watery grave to seeking revenge on the descendants of the four men.
markof

Post by markof »

Every now and again I drag the Dune soundtrack out for a listen and I'm always struck by debt owed to this music by many more recent soundtracks - looking at you Danny Elfman.

The film remains a guilty pleasure but the soundtrack stands on it's own merits.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

This is brilliant..... and if you search around a bit you can see most of the original film on the web.

Cinematic Orchestra - Man with a Movie Camera

Do or do not, there is no try
Rob

Post by Rob »

Roy Budd's soundtrack for the 1971 version of Get Carter (featuring Michael Caine) is impressive for the most part. It was reputedly recorded live to save on studio time.
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

Desplat is rapidly becoming the go-to soundtrack composer or maybe shares the crown with Zimmer for popularity - but without the bombast.
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Liked the movie, love the soundtrack:

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fergus: you asked my opinion on this one. I'll keep it short. Get it. Fabulously dark and forboding but with a glacial beauty to the darkness.

I was delighted to discover that two of my favourite artists are actually featured on the soundtrack! Erik Skodvin and Hildur Gudnadóttir......