Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Ivor »

Bannjo wrote:Heard this recently on a friends system, he is a professional reviewer for a Hi-Fi magazine so he has some serious kit. He describes this as his reference vinyl album. Wow what a sound the clarity, the dynamics and soundstage - wonderful and the music, St James Infirmary, Frankie and Johnny etc sublime!! Needless to say I had to get one and so after some searching I have finally acquired a nice clean copy of Discogs for a very reasonable price. Now this has become my own reference vinyl. It also sounds pretty mean on CD!

Excellent info there Bannjo, I must keep my eyes open.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Seán

Post by Seán »

Bannjo wrote:Heard this recently on a friends system, he is a professional reviewer for a Hi-Fi magazine so he has some serious kit. He describes this as his reference vinyl album. Wow what a sound the clarity, the dynamics and soundstage - wonderful and the music, St James Infirmary, Frankie and Johnny etc sublime!! Needless to say I had to get one and so after some searching I have finally acquired a nice clean copy of Discogs for a very reasonable price. Now this has become my own reference vinyl. It also sounds pretty mean on CD!
I LOVE Satchmo
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

I listened to this ECM LP earlier today. I have loved it ever since I first listened to it way back in the seventies, it features four (primarily Jazz) musicians playing rock, and it is splendid.
Gary Burton (vibraphone)
Mick Goodrick (guitar)
Abraham Laboriel (bass)
Harry Blazer (drums)
The opening track:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

A real cool slice from 1962 - bonus of Jim Hall on acoustic guitar.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

markof wrote:Image

A real cool slice from 1962 - bonus of Jim Hall on acoustic guitar.
Oh now, that looks interesting.
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

I'm going through the CD racks picking out albums that I haven't really played enough................

can't say this one does much for me.

SJB
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Sloop John B wrote:Image

I'm going through the CD racks picking out albums that I haven't really played enough................

can't say this one does much for me.

SJB

Bill is ok in small doses, too much swell pedal for my liking.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

Someone has pointed me in the direction of this 18 CD set which some of you may be interested in....

It is listed on Amazon UK for £25.27 but is temporarily out of stock. Should you want to investigate further here is the link.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Someone has pointed me in the direction of this 18 CD set which some of you may be interested in....

It is listed on Amazon UK for £25.27 but is temporarily out of stock. Should you want to investigate further here is the link.
That is a splendid set indeed, alas I have most of 'em already.