Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Post by cybot »

Claus wrote:New stuff from Nels Cline and White Out. Stream for free here:

http://www.avclub.com/article/stream-ou ... e-o-226615

Thanks for that Claus! Will have a good listen later....
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Gorgeous fell from this one. well worth hunting down, putting on, turning out the lights, comfy chair, let it wash all over.

interestingly, I don't know how I got this!!!
Do or do not, there is no try
markof

Post by markof »

Something new from Johann Johannsson.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Claus

Post by Claus »

Shameless self-promotion: This is a project I have been involved with over the last while. It consists of author and poet Karl Parkinson, producer and musician Conor O and myself on guitar and effects. We have recorded an album which we are very proud of. It mixes electronic beats, samples and melodies with the poetry of Karl Parkinson to create a unique blend of beat poetry, social/magical realism, hip hop and electronic music. I hope you will all give it listen (and look at our videos) on our Facebook page and if you like it, download/stream the album on iTunes. Thanks a million!

https://www.facebook.com/thekingmob/
cybot

Post by cybot »

Claus wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:40 pm Shameless self-promotion: This is a project I have been involved with over the last while. It consists of author and poet Karl Parkinson, producer and musician Conor O and myself on guitar and effects. We have recorded an album which we are very proud of. It mixes electronic beats, samples and melodies with the poetry of Karl Parkinson to create a unique blend of beat poetry, social/magical realism, hip hop and electronic music. I hope you will all give it listen (and look at our videos) on our Facebook page and if you like it, download/stream the album on iTunes. Thanks a million!

https://www.facebook.com/thekingmob/
Nice one Claus! Sounds good too.....Watched Revolution on YouTube. Good stuff :) Best of luck with the album.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Áine O'Dwyer's 'Music For Church Cleaners Vol1 and 2'. Very rare gatefold vinyl edition. Front cover feature in Wire and she's Irish. Enthralling solo drone/organ music. 'Music for Airports' eat your heart out :)

https://soundcloud.com/aine-o-dwyer/organ-prelude

cybot

Post by cybot »

Two more by Áine.....'Locusts' and 'Gegenschein'. Both live church organ improvisations from churches in England, America and Ireland.

cybot

Post by cybot »

Came across two records yesterday in Tower. Both contemporary classical - 're-play' and 'The Weathered Stone'. Very impressive and they're an Irish based label too....

https://ergodos.ie/record/
cybot

Post by cybot »

cybot

Post by cybot »

Norman Records:

It’s Michael Tanner’s Plinth project and his spook-tronica classic, Collected Machine Music from 2012. The digipack cd from Time Released Sound is long since out of print and here we present to you our exclusive and limited edition vinyl version, because we love you... We do... And not in a creepy way.

It’s a collection of tracks connected by Victorian mechanics -- music boxes, calliopes and so on. Funny people, those Victorians. They liked pretty things but it all sounds a bit macabre and sepia-tinged to me now, sitting at a computer screen in 2017. A calliope is a steam organ, in case you weren’t aware (I wasn’t). The sounds are made when the heated, compressed air is pushed through the various-sized pipes, escaping as steam and musical notes. Like at a fairground. You’ve probably heard one, possibly on a horror film. There’s a calliope on track 5 of this record, in fact. I just try not to think of the jerky movements of automata with scary mechanical dolls’ faces. (Mechanical dolls. Shiver).

It must be said, the music boxes on this record make the most beautiful, delicately twinkling and evocative sounds. Often with the most fluffy and gauzy-soft beds of reverbed chimes to recline upon. I do love the harmonic sounds of glockenspiels and the like. Sometimes the music boxes are left open to talk to each other, while Michael supervises on tape loops and effects and generally watches so they play nice. And every few minutes he rewinds them and alters the speed and pitch of each.

It’s all so magically atmospheric... and just a little bit unsettling. Like waking up to the smell of a freshly-peeled clementine and a fresh pair of socks at the foot of your bed. And it’s not even Christmas yet.