Market Research

tweber

Re: Market Research

Post by tweber »

Modest wrote:I think it's discontinued hard drive ,bu you could always find one on ebay.uk http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500GB-Portabl ... 2ed71ab567 if it helps
I picked one up in Easons last year some time,not sure if they still have them though.
Modest

Post by Modest »

Not wood ,but it seriously reminds me something from Copland units and it's minimal design :)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-new ... 63143.html
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Just came across this funky looking CDP from consonance

And it sitting on it's marble & aluminium stand

Just for the drool factor, here's a closeup of their turntable on the same stand
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote:Just came across this funky looking CDP from consonance
They make Opera speakers too... I always liked their stuff and assumed it was Italian but they're wholly Chinese. I do have a mains conditioner from them that just a solid aluminium block!

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yes, it kinda of surprised me too when I discovered they were Chinese manufactured although I don't know if the design originated there?
Nice looking gear - very stylish
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Didn't check the size but for £30 it is a power supply as is! But the case looks nice with digital display
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hifi-linear-p ... 7657076038
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks, Tony
Yes it's slightly bigger than my box at 140*75*45mm - mine is 120*78*43mm.
It's functional but it looks nicer, I believe

What do others think?
Thanks & keep them coming
www.Ciunas.biz
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've been thinking about this since you first posed the question, and it's one of those issues where I find it hard to be honest with myself, never mind being honest with somebody who's putting himself out there and designing hifi. That said, I'm going to try to put aside the usual answers I think I *should* give.

Now I like a bit of audio bling as much as the next man, but I'm struggling to really identify what that means other than "I know it when I see it". That said, there are a few things that definitely keep cropping up when I look at these photos:

1) I need a logo or some form of brand acknowledgement. Simple is fine, but I need something visual to mentally bring the box from "home-brew" to professional. It's not so much the bling itself, it's more that it puts the product in a serious contender category in my mind. There are two things here outside of the obvious "more professional" aspect: a) I feel like it's something I could sell on if it actually has a recognisable brand and looks like professional kit; and b) I feel more confident that there's been an investment of some description in the product itself and that I'll get some degree of support in the event of problems. I accept that these are nothing really to do with having a logo on the box, but mentally there's a link there for me.

2) Full width. I'm probably alone on this, but small boxes immediately take away seriousness of intent, irrespective of what's going on under the hood. If I'm honest, a product like this immediately screams "2nd system" or "office system" or similar, rather than suggesting it's a contender for the kind of high-end system it should be in. Again, the reality of the sound is a separate question, I personally just feel that boxes this size and shape get the punter on the wrong track from the word go.

3) More generally, I like the wood on the side as a statement thing and something that could be a signature look. I don't like your suggested logo very much, and I also wonder if it's wise to go with an Irish word? Again, rightly or wrongly, this says parochial to me, and it stops me from taking it as seriously. Obviously I'm coloured by the fact that I know the word already, so I can't say how those in other countries might view it. Is it an issue that many anglophones find Irish words hard to pronounce? This at least sounds something like it looks in English, so that may not apply.

4) Regarding displays, etc, I think there's no point putting a display on something unless it's going to share useful information. That said, I'd quite like to know what frequency we're running at etc., but it doesn't have to be an LCD.

5) Finally, I hate the box in the post above this!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Sonus Faber Signum
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote:I've been thinking about this since you first posed the question, and it's one of those issues where I find it hard to be honest with myself, never mind being honest with somebody who's putting himself out there and designing hifi. That said, I'm going to try to put aside the usual answers I think I *should* give.
Yes, that's what I'm looking for, as much honesty as you can muster. Too often market research just return the answers that those surveyed think they should give - just look at such surveys about how often men have sex Vs women have sex & you know for certain something doesn't add up - literally!
Now I like a bit of audio bling as much as the next man, but I'm struggling to really identify what that means other than "I know it when I see it". That said, there are a few things that definitely keep cropping up when I look at these photos:

1) I need a logo or some form of brand acknowledgement. Simple is fine, but I need something visual to mentally bring the box from "home-brew" to professional. It's not so much the bling itself, it's more that it puts the product in a serious contender category in my mind. There are two things here outside of the obvious "more professional" aspect: a) I feel like it's something I could sell on if it actually has a recognisable brand and looks like professional kit; and b) I feel more confident that there's been an investment of some description in the product itself and that I'll get some degree of support in the event of problems. I accept that these are nothing really to do with having a logo on the box, but mentally there's a link there for me.
Great explanation, thanks. It's the psychology behind the choices that I'm after & I get this.
2) Full width. I'm probably alone on this, but small boxes immediately take away seriousness of intent, irrespective of what's going on under the hood. If I'm honest, a product like this immediately screams "2nd system" or "office system" or similar, rather than suggesting it's a contender for the kind of high-end system it should be in. Again, the reality of the sound is a separate question, I personally just feel that boxes this size and shape get the punter on the wrong track from the word go.
Yea I can understand this. I can also see some pros favouring the smaller size - it doesn't take up much space so therefore it isn't as visually intrusive - so maybe not as much need for bling? Also, if we are talking about purchasing psychology - good for WA factor. I've read somewhere that this is one of the reasons for higher cable sales - they are easier to sneak into the system past the fiscal manager. I'm not saying anything about the morality of this - just saying.
3) More generally, I like the wood on the side as a statement thing and something that could be a signature look. I don't like your suggested logo very much, and I also wonder if it's wise to go with an Irish word? Again, rightly or wrongly, this says parochial to me, and it stops me from taking it as seriously. Obviously I'm coloured by the fact that I know the word already, so I can't say how those in other countries might view it. Is it an issue that many anglophones find Irish words hard to pronounce? This at least sounds something like it looks in English, so that may not apply.
I'm sure others share your opinion but I'm not sure if a non-english word isn't a bit exotic? Think of other audio products that use odd foreign words? To non-natives, Ciunas doesn't have the connotations we might associate with it from schooldays. I don't mind spreading a bit of parochialism about - it then becomes less parochial. I get what your saying though. I was also just having a bit of fun calling an audio device Ciunas :) (if I could get away with it)

The suggested logo might look amateurish, I don't know but it was the best I could come up with at the time
4) Regarding displays, etc, I think there's no point putting a display on something unless it's going to share useful information. That said, I'd quite like to know what frequency we're running at etc., but it doesn't have to be an LCD.
I don't really get why anyone wants to see what samplerate file they are playing - will it change the sound?
5) Finally, I hate the box in the post above this!
OK, you must detest my current enclosure (I prefer to call it this as box sounds so.... home brew

Thanks for putting the thought & time into writing this - it really is great to get insights into what other think
www.Ciunas.biz
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

The maker's name or logo has to jump out so your guests can say ""I see you bought a JK DAC( substitute exciting name) , is it as good as they say?"" We're assuming here that it's quality and flexibility are top notch. This gem is coming from a world class manufacturer and looks it. In an anonymous box it's a hobby product no matter how good it is.

A logo can be as simple as you like, here's Toyota's explanation of their's There are three ovals in the new logo that are combined in a horizontally symmetrical configuration. The two perpendicular ovals inside the larger oval represent the heart of the customer and the heart of the company. They are overlapped to represent a mutually beneficial relationship and trust between each other.The overlapping of the two perpendicular ovals inside the outer oval symbolize "T" for Toyota, as well as a steering wheel, representing the vehicle itself. The outer oval symbolizes the world embracing Toyota. Each oval is contoured with different stroke thicknesses, similar to the "brush" art known in Japanese culture.

For me, small boxes and digital files are best but the audio connoisseur wants something impressive for his money so large enclosures, hefty weight, super finish etc imply that the contents are even more impressive . A sprinkling of gold, rubidium, ceramics, FPGA's , cryogenics help. Even brass has some allure.

A feedback display of some kind can confirm that what you are playing is actually 24/176 for example and that your player hasn't converted to 16/44 or something else. If you're interested in DSD(DoP) it's important to know that's what's getting through. Other info like input selection is also useful.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers