Graaf Jadis Kharma Deliciousness

tony

Re: Graaf Jadis Kharma Deliciousness

Post by tony »

Maybe a bit of deja vu for Dave. This is the pair of speakers Simon and me were talking about the other night. In racing green they went for sale early last year I think and took ages to sell now the guy who has bought them is selling them on. Funnily enough after a change of driver!! They have dropped to £1500 since original placement on PFM. http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=166641

Derek, the Jadis takes circa 30mins plus to warm nicely up.

Whether it matters or not the Jadis was not on the regenerator the other night.

Dave if you are bringing over the amp to my place at some point throw in the regenerator. Would be curious to see how it behaves over here.
Sure you might as well lug the Sony over also as it is barely a paperweight compared to your Jadis!!

Fergus what have you do with your set up? Are you using the Jadis on the 63's or Sonus Fabers?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's gas that those speakers have popped up again after we were talking about them. Are they the same "upgraded" drivers Dave had in his Kharmas?

No amps on the regenerator the other night, only the Wadia. Ivor, the 57s got about an hour or an hour and a half of charge time, but that's probably not enough having been off completely for several months! Persuaded me I should listen to them more often, though...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Sonus Faber Signum
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

That's a very reasonable price for those speakers - even adding in the cost of driving over to get them its still a good deal.

Great thread guys, really enjoying reading this one.

DaveF - I know this is a pain to do, but have you tricked about with room positioning. That can really make a massive difference and its not always intuitive.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Ivor, the 57s got about an hour or an hour and a half of charge time, but that's probably not enough having been off completely for several months! Persuaded me I should listen to them more often, though...
They need weeks! If not months! Seriously I've found 24 hours is required or I'm second-guessing the performance.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yep, I've read that before online and I don't doubt for a minute that they need a LOT more warming up than they got on Wednesday. Still sounded Damn good though.

I wonder how different the 3.0 Kharmas are from the 3.2. They look similar, and I could never really figure out the old kharma range. Very hard to get the info info.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Sonus Faber Signum
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Re the speakers for sale on PFM, looks very like the kevlar type drivers that where put in my Kharmas. I wouldn't take those speakers for free. Actually, not even you paid me to. Interesting that the guy is selling them on so soon. I wonder.

Fran, I did play around with my speaker positioning a fair bit plus moving them to fire them down the long side of the room. As soon as I did that (last summer), I noticed that one speaker is clearly louder than the other and its a fairly big difference too. A distinct loss of midrange impact and treble in one speaker. I could easily confirm this by using the balance switch on the amp. Perhaps this is the source of my duller sound, it would make perfect sense. I know it should sound a lot better than it is.

The reason why I questioned the Jadis is that the Devialet sounded really good on the first evening I got the speakers but then again the speakers were just plonked down not in optimal position plus they were firing across the short side of the room. This is why I want to bring my amp down to Tony's.
Last edited by DaveF on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Steve

Post by Steve »

Dave, should definitely be able to sort a session over the coming while so that you can hear the KT120's. Just dropped my Wadia over to Dr Dariusz to see if a recently sourced new transport can breathe new SACD life into it. Once sorted, just need to tee up an evening where family have other plans!

As Simon mentioned, I've found that my Jadis JA80's benefit after literally hours of warming up. Usually try to have them powered up for couple of hours before starting a session. And even then, find that they're really at their best after a further hour or two, when the transformers and chassis could fry an egg!

I used to think that the Kharma's also sound staged a little better midway into a session. Perhaps the driver surrounds getting a little more supple when in use. (Or maybe simply to do with the ear getting more into the mix...) But don't really notice such an effect with the Amati's.
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
fergus

Post by fergus »

tony wrote:
Fergus what have you do with your set up? Are you using the Jadis on the 63's or Sonus Fabers?

Hi Tony,

The Jadis drives the Sonus Fabers, the Shine drives the 63s.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Audioq

Post by Audioq »

Great thread & pics lads, thanks