Does my friend need a TV licence

james

Does my friend need a TV licence

Post by james »

A friend of mine has an old TV with just an analog tuner. He uses it mainly for watching DVD's. Since the switch to saorview he cannot receive the Irish [or any] TV stations. Does he need a TV licence ?

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Adrian

Re: Does my friend need a TV licence

Post by Adrian »

Your buddy requires to carefully inspect the wording of the code for TV license etc.

AFAIK... it does not explicitly mention a TV, but a receiving apparatus.

A TV is a receiving apparatus... but is unable to receive the new digital signal.

It could be argued successfully I think.... as the TV can only be used as a monitor.

However your friend will get lots of call cards every year, and every now and again a letter stating the rules and threatening legal action / fines it he gets caught.

If your buddy is in a high rise apartment... then it is very unlikely they will be able to look in a window and physically see the TV. As long as they cannot see the unit.. it is very hard for them to prosecute you.

I lived in an apartment once..and this inspector kept calling (as I did not have a TV)... and we kept missing each other.

Eventually he called at around 10 p.m. Introduced himself and asked me what TV did I have. I told him that he got me.... he understood this to be I was caught red handed... but what I meat was... I finally got me when I was in the apartment!!

So out he takes his A4 pad with the official form, starts filling in the details... and at the section... what type of TV I have ( B& W or Colour) I stated that I did not have a TV at all.

With that he stopped writing, stood bolt upright and stared at me.... then I told him "not only do I have no TV... in fact I am not in the possession of a receiving apparatus".

With that he just closed his notepad, apologised and walked off, I called to him and asked him if he wanted to come in and have a look around, I'd even offered him a cup of tea.... but he just said "no thanks" and I did'nt see him again.

He just recognised that I was telling the truth, I knew the legislation.. and I did not give him any lip... he just walked straight off as he probably wanted to be somewhere else at that hour.

I'd suggest writing to the Licensing authority... explaining the situation and he should get an answer from them saying license not required.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
james

Post by james »

Thanks Adrian,

I will tell my friend to write to the Licence authority.

I think in the old days you could be charged a licence fee if you had an aerial on the roof but claimed not to have a set !!

James
Gussy Finknottle

Post by Gussy Finknottle »

In the UK if you dont watch live TV you dont need a TV licience.Not sure how its policed but thats the way it is
He who dies with the most expensive HiFi wins
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

James
If your friend has a radio, a laptop, pc, or even smartphone he will need a license. Anything that is capable of picking up a signal.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/co ... ences.html

Explains it fairly well, states even if your TV is broken / old analogue type you must have a license.

A computer monitor is different.

There was discussion a few years ago where if you had a house / dwelling then you had to have a license, regardless or having a TV or not. Mr Rabbitt was thinking about, seems to have died off I think!
james

Post by james »

Adrian wrote:http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/co ... ences.html

Explains it fairly well, states even if your TV is broken / old analogue type you must have a license.

A computer monitor is different.

There was discussion a few years ago where if you had a house / dwelling then you had to have a license, regardless or having a TV or not. Mr Rabbitt was thinking about, seems to have died off I think!
Thanks for that .. I read the article and found this ..

"...
If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.
..."

Seems very unfair. I [myself] have a satellite dish and saorview box but I hardly ever watch rte ... As for my friend .. I think he will have to get a licence but he should still write to the licence authority ..

james
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Governments / Senior Civil Servants are very adept at getting people to pay for services that they do not receive / don't want to receive. You can fool all of the people .... just about all of the time.

Excellent quote on the FT..

"Do I want to live in an electronically controlled, cashless society where the government can effectively a) 'force' me to spend by taxing any unspent deposits, b) bail me in, in the 'national interest' of course, anytime they please c) regulate all my transactions...bearing in mind that governments take power, they don't give it back?"
By MarkGB on The case for retiring another ‘barbarous relic’

Courtesy of the www.FT.com 3rd Sept 2015.

Almost 10% of my annual home insurance bill is Govt levies, 30% of my monthly electricity bill is made up of levies / tax / Non Fossil fuel obligation levies / standing charges... and then VAT added on top for good measure. As I continue to reduce my electricity consumption.... the levies will just increase... until in 10 years time... about 40% of my bill will be levies+ VAT.

Despite the fact that oil has dropped from over 110 USD / barrel... to $44... petrol has not come down that much at the pump.

Such are the times we live in!!
james

Post by james »

The best option for my friend is to get a large monitor for his laptop and use that to watch DVD's ....
Rob

Post by Rob »

I know the TV licence used to include radio but saw this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televisio ... of_Ireland
In Ireland, a television licence is required for any address at which there is a television set.
which takes one to an An Post source so wonder if you don't need a TV licence anymore if you just have a radio in the house?