Cloney show

Diapason

Re: Cloney show

Post by Diapason »

I'd forgotten that article. Great to read it again.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Sonus Faber Signum
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Terry wrote:
Sloop John B wrote:So Cloney's are as old as Revolver?

It would be interesting to know what products were sold in 1966 and what music was used to demo?

SJB
A few clues here... http://www.irishtimes.com/business/comm ... -1.1015901

Looking forward to it!
And not a mention of streaming, one forgets how quickly CD has been superseded.

SJB
james

Post by james »

Sloop John B wrote:So Cloney's are as old as Revolver?

It would be interesting to know what products were sold in 1966 and what music was used to demo?

SJB
I think Cloney started as CentreSound in Lincoln Place. I remember Quad Electrostatics.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
JFK

Post by JFK »

I didn't start the Cloney bug till the early 80s , he was in Leinster road at that time , remember buying a Mission 774 tonearm and P 77 cartridge to put on my STD305d ... Memories

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

JFK wrote:I didn't start the Cloney bug till the early 80s , he was in Leinster road at that time , remember buying a Mission 774 tonearm and P 77 cartridge to put on my STD305d ... Memories

I would have lived minutes from him in Rathmines and never knew he was there.... I got to know Blackrock pretty well though!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
JFK

Post by JFK »

Wow Ivor that's a weird one , yep I know what you mean , my credit card still trembles when I push that doorbell [emoji1]

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Popped along today - great to be part of the 50th celebrations, it really is quite some achievement. Well done to all!

I loved the vintage stuff of course - and that Akai reel to reel is just gorgeous! But the real stunner of the show for me was the devialet phantom. I was mega impressed by that, great coherence, depth, power, and no harshness at all. Buy two of them and I think you would have a very enjoyable sound in your room.

Again, thanks to Cloneys for organising it all, I wish you many many more years of success!

fran
Do or do not, there is no try
JFK

Post by JFK »

Couldn't make it today , hope to get there tomorrow

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fran, I completely agree about the Phantom. I'd heard the silver version before and while I thought it was good and enjoyable and fun, I'd kinda written it off as not really REAL hifi. Based on today's dem, that might have been hasty. I'd like to hear them properly set up, on proper stands, well positioned in a room and in stereo mode. One thing's for sure, you could build a pretty damn good system around them that would be simple and laden with WAF. No bad thing!

Apart from that I enjoyed the vintage gear on display, but my favourite thing of all was the old photos of Noel, and a certain advertising truck. A real reminder of times gone by in the industry.

I thought the new Technics deck sounded great, but for whatever reason I was underwhelmed by digital playback on the same system in the main room. In fairness I only heard a couple of tracks, but vinyl won the day, and it's not every day you'll hear me say that. I'm just not convinced by the DACs in the Devialet Expert range, they always seem to favour a presentation I don't love. Maybe that's unfair...

Still, wonderful to see the Cloney boys still doing their thing, and doing it better than ever. I doubt I'll see the 100 year celebrations myself, but I certainly hope they happen! Based on the brisk trade in the shop today, there's life in the old hifi business yet.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Sonus Faber Signum
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Said my hellos to Noel and Ivan early this morning and offered my congratulations on a job well done over a long number of years. Here is hoping for many more good ones for the guys.

With regard to what was on demo I have to 100% agree with Simon above regarding the Devialet. The vinyl sounded great but the digital playback was unimpressive.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra