Pre-launch of new range of Ciúnas Dacs & USB transports

jkeny

Re: Pre-launch of new range of Ciúnas Dacs & USB transports

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Fran, for putting in the time to review & write up your impressions.
Glad you liked what you hear & yes, as you say there's not a quantum leap in performance between the JKDAC32 & Ciúnas DAC - I'm hoping that's because we are touching on the upper limits of what's achievable with this technology?

Just a note about the battery operation. Although it will work wonderfully solely off the battery, people might think that it is necessary to do so & then feel that plugging in & out the power for battery charging is a hassle too far. All my devices have been designed to be permanently supplied with 5V power while playing & this has no detrimental effect on the sound. This is effectively a battery shunt arrangement where the influence of the PS (noise, ripple, etc) is completely mitigated by the battery connection. Essentially the battery is supplying the power & the 5V PS is supplying a trickle current to top-up the battery. No worry therefore about battery charging.

Maybe, Fran you can comment about this?

BTW, I have just launched my new website https://sites.google.com/site/jkciunas/
I'll be linking my domain name johnkenny.biz to it in time - it currently links to the old website (which has a link to the new)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I've been going back and forth and doing some more listening, and I definitely think the Ciúnas gives more than the jkDAC32. There's just that little bit more feeling of reality there. I think that confirms (to me at least) that there is just that bit more resolution and soundstage there with it.

Really its very impressive I have to say.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
GrahamJohnMiles

Ciunas Impressions

Post by GrahamJohnMiles »

Ordered the Ciunas last Monday and it was in rural Ontario three days later. Haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time with it, thanks to an ice storm the took the power out for 36 hours. What I have heard thus far is exquisite. The same sonic signature as the JKDAC32 but more of everything. Depth, detail, air. The additional micro-dynamics give you an enhanced feeling of being there; you can hear the acoustic space and are drawn into it. A lovely and significant improvement over what was already a special and musical DAC. John, as ever is a delight to deal with. How many audio products can you buy these days and have almost immediate access to the designer. Regardless of price it's a steal.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Graham for posting this all the way from Ontario.
Hope those ice storms (wow!) are over & you can sit down to enjoying some music soon?
Much appreciate the kind & flattering words, I'm blushing :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
spacelab

Post by spacelab »

Hello !

I'm searching for JKDAC32, if you want to sell please send me PM.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

spacelab wrote:Hello !

I'm searching for JKDAC32, if you want to sell please send me PM.
id imagine you would get more viewers if you opened a new thread in the classifieds titled jkdac32 wanted
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Peter Stockwell

Post by Peter Stockwell »

Hi,

Posting for the first time here, hope that it's not the last. I was lured here as a result of sumething of a pie fight on pfm. Anyway, been tempted by Ciùnas USB/SPDIF converter. Running a JRiver MC19, using memory play, on an Intel NUC (Celeron 847 version), so looking to join in the fun.

Cheers

Peter
Last edited by Peter Stockwell on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Hi Peter.
1st member from France I think.
Welcome.
Gerry
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Peter Stockwell

Post by Peter Stockwell »

Gerry D wrote:Hi Peter.
1st member from France I think.
Welcome.
Gerry

Not 'riginally from France, just been here for some time.

Thanks for the welcome
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Peter Stockwell wrote:Hi,

Posting for the first time here, hope that it's not the last. I was lured here as a result of sumething of a pie fight on pfm. ....

Peter
Hi Peter & welcome
Is that not what PFM stands for "Pie Fight Methods"?
I always thought so as it is a regular occurrence there & many there are well practised in the art
www.Ciunas.biz