MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Clive101

Re: MQN

Post by Clive101 »

Hi nige2000

Thank you very much for your reply.

I don't have a DAC driver as the DAC only goes up to 96 KHz and so uses the built in Windows USB driver.

The CPU is an Intel Core i5 2500T

Regards
Clark
rdsu

Post by rdsu »

jesuscheung wrote:
rdsu wrote:Jc and sbgk got banned on CA for no apparent reason to me?
im sure life will go on
The reason was lack of education, respect and professionalism!

When we make some question about something that they can't answer, they didn't response well, and starts replying like we are against them...

Just one example:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-s ... post252143

I didn't listen MQn, but even if SBGK made a great audio player, that doesn't mean nothing...
Unbelievable! My enemy is everywhere I go lol.

hey rdsu, let's just be friends.

if you continue reading the link, you would find I am right:

Originally Posted by Computer Audio Design
Hello jesuscheung,

I spent sojme time today trying your suggestions and I agree with you! Leaving the application comaptibility engine enabled and leaving MMCSS enabled does sound better! It has been a loooong time since I did listening tests on these two. I appreciate your input, thank you. It appears you have also spent some time in this area so let us all know any of your ideas.

As far as the IRQ8 priority I have had issues with timers in general depending on the computer being used. On all of our computers setting IRQ8 priority to 1 does help the SQ, but that does not mean it will for all computers so I suggest people to try it with and without.

Scott
Your enemy!?
I'm not your enemy, and I was already here.
You need to stop with that conspiracy theory... ;)

I never said you were wrong, just ordered for more information, and if Scott found it useful that doesn't mean that it's better or not, is just another opinion...

LowOrbit

Post by LowOrbit »

Clive101 wrote:Hi

Just joined this forum as MQN mentioned on JPLAY forums - I've been using JPLAY for a while but really keen to hear this software. I downloaded a version the other day but couldn't get anything to play.

I'm using a dCS Debussy DAC and in JPLAY I have to set the Bitstream setting to 24 bit for it to work, if I set this to Native or 32 bit JPLAY won't work.

So could there be a compatibility problem with my DAC and MQN because my DAC only works with 24 bit ? Although I'm only trying to play 16 bit WAV files?

Sorry, I'm not that technical but welcome any advice.

Regards
Clive
Hi Clive

Lovely dac that Debussy. But it looks like it relies on ASIO to drive it's USB connection with the PC. JPlay supports ASIO. I don't think MQn does. However, it may be worth downloading free ASIO4ALL. That should work as the glue between your dac and the software, based on my own previous experience. Have a read of the ASIO4ALL web site. http://www.asio4all.com.

Regards
Mark
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Clive101 wrote:Hi nige2000

Thank you very much for your reply.

I don't have a DAC driver as the DAC only goes up to 96 KHz and so uses the built in Windows USB driver.

The CPU is an Intel Core i5 2500T

Regards
Clark
Ok its a class one usb
the dcs website is down and I can sometimes figureout the chipset from the drivers
on the first page Ive a Dropbox link can you try some of them
I know I need to update will do later

just insure that your dac is the default audio device and kill play stuff running in task managerr

see mark has some more insight

try the folders anyway
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
erin

Post by erin »

Good evening folks.
Its my first post here after seeing what happened on CA forum, and reading the link on the MQn blog sending me here to discuss.

I hope I can contribute in a positive and meaningful way.

Is this where it is all happening now?
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

erin wrote:Good evening folks.
Its my first post here after seeing what happened on CA forum, and reading the link on the MQn blog sending me here to discuss.

I hope I can contribute in a positive and meaningful way.

Is this where it is all happening now?
think so.

Looking back in just a month, I have 169 versions of MQn in my folder since 2.10 SSE4. That just shows how much hard work sbgk had put into this project. free for everyone. I am still pissed off about how inconsiderate some people can be.

I am gonna just enjoy 2.58 to 2.60 for a few days. These versions are already better any other player on earth. XA won't catch up anytime soon. Maybe XS can compete. Who knows.
LowOrbit

Post by LowOrbit »

Had a chance to grab an earful of "2.60 8 Add" earlier today. To me it felt more dynamic than "8 4" with crisper transients, yet still very musical and natural sounding. Not by any big margin, so I wouldn't go all ABX on it...

If SBGK can get around the 24 bit issues some of us have been having that would be terrific. I had a look at the Thesycon site and the info there on the Audio USB Driver. Unfortunately it wasn't specific enough to pin down where the incompatibility might be - the USB 2.0 Audio interface spec makes no distinction between 24bit and 24-in-32 from a brief perusal (this internet thing might catch on, you know?, so much information!)

Good to see that some common sense landed over at CA and the proprietor did the right thing in reversing his bans. Too little, too late perhaps but the right gesture anyway.
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Looks like a cooling off period is upon us which is a good thing after all the serious work over the past week by all involved in improving and testing MQN and particularly SBGK, time to recharge the batteries methinks particularly after events over recent days.
At least now I am finally getting time to listen to some music and loving the experience, need to start planning a major conversion to WAV files over the coming weeks, beginning to think it will be worth it in the long run now that the sound of MQN is so mature and way ahead of any of the competition.
I expect when more get to hear the HiRez experience with MQN we will be in to a whole other league of development but for me MQN sounds great with all 24, 88 - 96 - 192 files I have thrown at it, the only limitation so far has been very large WAV files over 1Tb which it refuses to load but not a problem for me, there are just some classical tracks I had saved one time but do not listen too much.
I have my hardware pretty much sorted out for the continued use of MQN and next stop will be to get an optimised Server 2012 setup with only basic services running.
The coming days will be spent listening to the different 2.60 versions to see if I can tell any difference, I think some of you guys who were heavily involved in listening for sbgk are masters at telling subtle differences, will try to get up to speed in the coming week and contribute where I can. Cheers, Pearse.....and welcome to all the CA renegades hanging out here :-))

Post by sbgk »

Sligolad wrote:Looks like a cooling off period is upon us which is a good thing after all the serious work over the past week by all involved in improving and testing MQN and particularly SBGK, time to recharge the batteries methinks particularly after events over recent days.
At least now I am finally getting time to listen to some music and loving the experience, need to start planning a major conversion to WAV files over the coming weeks, beginning to think it will be worth it in the long run now that the sound of MQN is so mature and way ahead of any of the competition.
I expect when more get to hear the HiRez experience with MQN we will be in to a whole other league of development but for me MQN sounds great with all 24, 88 - 96 - 192 files I have thrown at it, the only limitation so far has been very large WAV files over 1Tb which it refuses to load but not a problem for me, there are just some classical tracks I had saved one time but do not listen too much.
I have my hardware pretty much sorted out for the continued use of MQN and next stop will be to get an optimised Server 2012 setup with only basic services running.
The coming days will be spent listening to the different 2.60 versions to see if I can tell any difference, I think some of you guys who were heavily involved in listening for sbgk are masters at telling subtle differences, will try to get up to speed in the coming week and contribute where I can. Cheers, Pearse.....and welcome to all the CA renegades hanging out here :-))
1tb limit is probably a variable length issue, can't hold the required no of bytes, shall have a look. The blog is still getting 400 hits a day, so no such thing as bad publicity. Have been following the PFM thread as they turn into a parody of themselves, brilliant.
tony

Post by tony »

I think Pearse is right it would be sensible to sit back take stock rather than rabid posting just to get started on here. Selfishly I wish Gordon would try and look back and deal with some of the issues relating to dacs not being able to play hires. Not sure where he ultimately wants to go with MQn. If commercial these issues need to be sorted. If not commercial well then the only hope for this issue is Gordon seeing it as a challenge.

Thank god you think that way about the PFM thread. At some points I was holding my head in shame for bothering to post. You sum it up nicely. There is no hope there I don't watch south park but my sons review of the episode relating to the mania that breaks out when they realise that the world is due to end two days before the day after tomorrow and it dawns on them that it is today.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.