Magneplanars anyone?

Fran
Site Admin

Magneplanars anyone?

Post by Fran »

Is anyone here using or ever had experience with magneplanars?

I ask because I recently picked up a pair of old ones in non-working condition and after a lot of investigation and quite some work they are singing again. A very simple speaker (why aren't there more made?) and easy enough to drive. Interesting principle using magnets, but still a planar speaker like an electrostatic with many similar sonic characteristics.

the photo is not mine - and these are SMGa, a revised model, but the looks are almost identical.

Interested to hear anyones experience with them.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Magneplanars anyone?

Post by Fran »

IMAG0718_1 by francis morrin, on Flickr
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Looks great Fran, but no... unfortunately I have no experience of such speakers.

I think your next project will be to extend the house.............. hahahahahahaha
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Very popular in the US, and on the Hong Kong forum I used to read sometimes. Quad lovers often seem to love these as well, although the consensus would seem to be that they're harder to drive. I sampled a pair in cloney about 100 years ago and didn't warm to them, but in fairness I was in my teens and these were not the kind of sound I wanted. Always wanted to hear them again, so I'm chuffed to hear you have a pair, Fran!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Sonus Faber Signum
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'm impressed enough with them I have to say. These are old enough but in remarkably good condition. The repairs should mean that they stay sounding good for years and years to come - and the repairs are cheap, although fiddly and time consuming. Magneplanar still sell a kit that give you all thats needed to fix them. I went a slightly different route and used more modern materials that have given better longer term results and are what Magneplanar use on their new speakers.

Sonically: Very fast indeed, very electrostatic sounding with a typical great soundstage. They feel very "full" with more bass than I thought. Treble is sweet, and overall I would put the sound on the warmer side of neutral. I've only run them so far with a valve amp, and the next move will be to try a few other amps to see how they sound with solid state, or chip amps, etc.

They look good though (IMHO!!) and are very neat and thin. Hearing them is one of those "I can't believe the sound thats coming out of these!" type moments.

fran
tweber

Post by tweber »

Just came across this on donedeal Fran - he's also selling a Pathos amp & cd player

http://www.donedeal.ie/audioequipment-f ... rs/6273925
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I saw that alright. They are newer models - should be better than mine by a fair bit. That CDP looks great, wonder how it sounds?
tony

Post by tony »

Agree the CDP looks great. You would be hoping it sounds half as nice as the looks. Would almost make me reconsider the lack of a CD player.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Magnafan

Post by Magnafan »

Hi. I have three pairs of Magnapan speakers. I love them to bits and would never seriously look (sorry listen) to any other speaker (regardless of price). I'm about to buy another pair (hence magnafan). The reason I have three pairs is that (i) nobody in Ireland is interested in them (so impossible to sell on) and (ii) I'd simply hate to sell them on. At the moment I am using the 1.6 model. I'm considering buying the 1.7s or even the 3.5s.
Anyone who listens to them on a respectable Hi Fi will be blown away by their openness, stereo imaging and the way the sound just floats out of them unstressed. The 'sound stage' is so good that you are simply unaware of where the sound is coming from .... except the band is over there!
I'm into classical music - for those who know, try listening to Brucker' 5th symphony at high volume! - you will never go to a concert again! You will never want to leave the house - sorry, the room. You will never buy more music because you have enough and you will relisten to everything again.
They only problem - and it is a problem for many people - they need space - about two feet out from the wall. I'm lucky enough to have a large 'listening' room.
Now ... back to Bruckner's 5th noise.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Magnafan wrote:Hi. I have three pairs of Magnapan speakers. I love them to bits and would never seriously look (sorry listen) to any other speaker (regardless of price). I'm about to buy another pair (hence magnafan). The reason I have three pairs is that (i) nobody in Ireland is interested in them (so impossible to sell on) and (ii) I'd simply hate to sell them on. At the moment I am using the 1.6 model. I'm considering buying the 1.7s or even the 3.5s.
Anyone who listens to them on a respectable Hi Fi will be blown away by their openness, stereo imaging and the way the sound just floats out of them unstressed. The 'sound stage' is so good that you are simply unaware of where the sound is coming from .... except the band is over there!
I'm into classical music - for those who know, try listening to Brucker' 5th symphony at high volume! - you will never go to a concert again! You will never want to leave the house - sorry, the room. You will never buy more music because you have enough and you will relisten to everything again.
They only problem - and it is a problem for many people - they need space - about two feet out from the wall. I'm lucky enough to have a large 'listening' room.
Now ... back to Bruckner's 5th noise.
You're definitely a happy man :) What are they like with vocals? Does that ugly little thing called sibilance get in the way?