USB isolator tour

jkeny

USB isolator tour

Post by jkeny »

I wanted to start a tour of some of my new isolated USB products - ISO-HUB; ISO-PS & two world firsts ISO-SPDIF & ISO-DAC (USB isolated SPDIF converter & DAC, respectively).

What's different about all the products is that they are powered by ultra-low noise, ultra stable, over-specified isolated battery power. The difference this makes to the sound compared to even the latest ultra-low noise voltage regulators has to be heard for oneself.

When it comes to improving USB signal integrity only the absolute best stable, fast, noise-free (at all frequencies) power source will provide the optimal result. Powering both sides of the isolation with this quality of power provides the final last bit of improvement.

Further details about my approach & the isolation products can be found on my website.

Any members here interested? First preference is tour of Ireland. Post your interest, location & I'll try & accommodate

Here's the write-up on my approach from my website:

It’s been on the wish list of many who have tried USB isolation &/or USB reclocking devices & found it has audibly improved their USB audio systems - to eliminate the 3 or more boxes & interconnecting cables needed & combine it all into a single device which incorporates the same functionality. The ISO (isolated) range of Ciunas devices provides this & more.

The concepts:

The Ciunas ISO-HUB provides an all-in-one combination of true isolation of USB 2.0 high speed signals along with the reformation of the USB signal waveform itself.

Combining this technology inside a USB to SPDIF converter or USB DAC is the next logical step & the new Ciunas products ISO-SPDIF & ISO-DAC are exactly this - a combination of the acclaimed Ciúnas converter/DAC with the above ISO-HUB technology.

Finally the new Ciunas ISO-PS is a power source that uses off-grid, isolated, ultra low noise, fast & stable power source to deliver two isolated voltages 3.3V. It is charged from the 5V VBUS of the USB input port.

A stable, ultra low noise power supply is the foundation for all devices to OPTIMALLY improve signal waveform or signal integrity. In these devices this low noise power is provided by very powerful but very safe, batteries which are user replaceable.

In the Ciunas devices, through various techniques, direct ultra low noise, clean power is provided from these sources without any intervening voltage regulators. I have found that using voltage regulator (even the best ones) on the battery output, negatively affects the quality of battery power output. I believe that most digital audio devices require large currents in bursts & it’s important that the power system is capable of delivering these current demands without generating noise. Batteries are capable of this large dynamic current delivery - the batteries I use have 120 Amps instantaneous current capability. The result of achieving this are large sonic benefits in this area of digital audio.

Why?

The Issues:

It seems that there are at least two factors at play - leakage current mitigation & stable, fast, ultra-low noise power (particularly low noise at very low frequencies).

Current leakage is an inherent phenomena in all mains powered equipment - the reason why medical grade electrical devices exist is a recognition of this fact & keep leakage currents within the limits of medical standards - usually < 100 uA for patient safety considerations.

Why are leakage current issues being focused on now when they have always existed in our playback systems? The rise in use of SMPS power is at the root of the problem. These tend to have higher leakage currents than linear PSes. Another factor are the RFI filters needed in order to pass pass certification in devices handling high speed signals & these filters increase current leakage to ground/chassis.

Leakage currents are not the same as the 50/60Hz ground loop noise heard as hum or buzzes from speakers. This ground loop noise occurs when two or more grounds in the audio system are at different voltage levels & a current flows between these points. Leakage currents arise between the AC & DC of both linear & SMPS but are usually higher in SMPS. A small current is “leaked” onto the DC & often flow in signal cables in order to get back to ground or neutral. Leakage currents - it’s not noise identified a separate audible entity but rather noise which is interwoven with the music signal. How this sounds is variable because it depends on the leakage characteristics of the power supplies through which the leakage currents are flowing. In a lot of cases it is perceived as a dull, flat uninteresting sound lacking dynamics, life & vitality.

Off-grid power supplies, such as batteries are one step towards addressing these leakage currents by simply eliminating one of the leakage loop pathways. USB isolators block another leakage current pathway - through the actual signal lines, not just the ground or 5V power line. These two approaches, implemented in digital audio devices, prevent leakage currents from entering the sensitive analogue areas of these devices.

Another current finding in digital audio is that a well-formed digital waveform seems to result in improved sound quality. Why, is not currently known or revealed by current measurements. To achieve optimally formed waveforms requires a low noise, stable & fast power supply as the stable reference needed for generating such clean waveforms.

In my experiments with USB isolators, USB signal cleaners on the outputs always improved the sound. Why? The reason is likely reducing the jitter which all isolators create on their outputs.

My experiments with reclockers/regenerators showed an obviously audible improvement when powered by battery or similar clean, off-grid PS even when these devices use highly regarded, low noise voltage regulators, LT3042, ADM7150m or TPSTA4700. An even greater improvement was heard when these internal voltage regulator were bypassed & direct battery power applied in certain critical areas such as clock & USB hub chip. I have posted instructions for performing this minor modification on an existing USB reclocker here & those who have tried it have reported the large audible improvements. The importance of this power supply approach cannot be underestimated. I believe that this unmistakably audible improvement in sonics is to do with the very low noise of these batteries particularly at very low frequencies. If you look at all the ultra-low noise regulators datasheets, including the two above, you will see that noise plots stop at 10Hz - they don’t show anything below this frequency & the noise is shown rising from from 100Hz to 10Hz. Extrapolating this slope to < 1Hz will show significantly rising noise levels for these regulators. Ultra low noise regulator datasheets that show noise measurements below 10Hz (ADM7150) show noise of ~30 to 50mV @0.1Hz under light load of 10mA current.

LiFePO4 batteries used in my devices don’t have this issue, staying at ultra-low noise levels all the way down to DC when supplying much higher currents.

The result of optimising all of these approaches - off-grid clean, stable, ultra low-noise & ultra stable power supply; USB isolation; & USB reclocking, is a noticeable improvement & much more realistic sound - a deeper, more 3D soundstage where each element is more naturally portrayed - a portrayal which has an unforced flow & naturalness to it.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Re: USB isolator tour

Post by tony »

Ha just sent a mail to Nigel earlier this evening about trying to do something next weekend with his amp if he happened to be at the right point.
Maybe if it comes off you can bring your 'stuff' John? You have been busy obviously.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Cool, Tony - would like to see/hear "The amp" - looks like a really polished/professional build & I know already that it sounds great
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

John,

I'm not exactly sure if the ISO HUB would fit into my setup which is:

Raspberry Pi3 > Hugo TT DAC.

If it does I would really appreciate being included on the tour.

I'm in Templeogue, if you remember.

.sjb
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Sloop John B wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 pm John,

.sjb
Anywhere a USB connection is used for audio is suitable - if this is how the RPi is connected to to your Hugo then it is.
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 11:20 pm

.sjb
Anywhere a USB connection is used for audio is suitable - if this is how the RPi is connected to to your Hugo then it is.
likely would benefit with an iso-ps for the rpi along with the iso-usb too
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 10:42 pm Ha just sent a mail to Nigel earlier this evening about trying to do something next weekend with his amp if he happened to be at the right point.
Maybe if it comes off you can bring your 'stuff' John? You have been busy obviously.
go for Sunday Tony im unavailable Sat
it is quite possible i might not have it functional by then and not be able to listen to it, but we need to get other stuff organised and get some build work delegation going
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

jkeny wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 11:20 pm

.sjb
Then it is.

.sjb
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Count me in for the ISO Hub and ISO PS John.
I have ordered the ISORegen so when i get it then it will be a good time to try it out in comparison.

I am good for Sunday as well and should have all the Battery cases ready.

Post by jkeny »

Sligolad wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 5:16 pm Count me in for the ISO Hub and ISO PS John.
I have ordered the ISORegen so when i get it then it will be a good time to try it out in comparison.

I am good for Sunday as well and should have all the Battery cases ready.
Yes a comparison with the ISORegen would be good but you won;t have that by Sunday
www.Ciunas.biz