USB isolator tour

jkeny

Re: USB isolator tour

Post by jkeny »

Thanks for hosting this Tony. Pity that the meet up didn't work out today.
Impossible to A/B anything as Tony's PC seems not to like USB devices being plugged in/out
Anyway, Pearse has the ISO-HUB & ISO-PS to audition at home
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Sounds like you have a winner John with this Isolator and Battery combo so stick my name on your order book :-))

After you left yesterday we tried the Isolator on Nige's laptop into his Soekris DAC and could not get the laptop to see the DAC.
When I brought the Isolator and Battery Pack home i could not get it to work either, the blus light was lit on the Isolator as well.

I took a 5v supply off the Paul Hynes supply into the Battery Unit and then I had music, looks like the batteries must have been running for some time without charging as it has been fine since.

Did you leave a 5v charger at Tony's as I did not see one there, either way I am happy with my own 5v supply at the moment?

Straight away yesterday I could hear the difference, the 2 words that come to mind are a fuller and natural sounding presentation.
There is definitely more body to music and a very natural sound, dare I say it very analogue but with all the detail and more.
Not sure how many hours you have on the units but it sounds even better today, maybe the batteries are now fully charged but even with them charged it sounds like it is still improving.

It is definitely a step forward from the prototype we have heard on several occasions over the last year.

Looking forward to some more listening over the coming days.
I will be shocked if the Uptone ISO Regen bests it or even matches it as the difference with it in is not subtle.

When I get a quiet evening I will try changing between the Intona and Regen and see if I can get a better description of the improvements.

Post by jkeny »

Great, Pearse - look forward to your further impressions & comparison to the Intona & furthermore, I'm also interested in your comparison to the ISO Regen when you receive it.

I'm also interested in your impressions of the performance of the ISO-PS in comparison with the Teddy Pardo, Paul Hynes or other quality PSes you have in your stock

It needs any 5V supply (walwart or from USB port) plugged into the ISO-PS (the power pack) which charges it while in operation. There are relays which only switch on with 5v power.

I took away the 5V PS I had brought with me as it was only 300mA output & warm in use so best to use 500mA or higher current output 5V power
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Another update and this time I am a little confused.

I have not had much time for listening this week but I did do comparisons between the battery powered ISO Hub and the Intona and on both occasions I struggled to find any difference which has me confused.

When I put the ISO Hub in last Sunday I heard an improvement on tracks I am well used to.
Now when I go back to the Intona I still hear that improvement !!!

I did add 2 Curious USB cables recently and they did sound better and maybe these have been changing the sound over the past 2 weeks and when I went for critical listening I was hearing more of what they were adding.

Some days I am not very good at hearing differences but I am now struggling to hear an improvement with the ISO Hub on my system.
I will give it another run during the week and try another 5v supply I have which is an ifi 5v supply to see if it changes anything.
I tried listening without 5v connected as the power supply can be disconnected once the DAC is seen and could not hear any difference.

Post by jkeny »

Interesting impressions, Pearse
Keep us updated

Edit: thinking about this - can you keep the ISO-PS on charge when not in use & see if this makes a difference?
www.Ciunas.biz
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

OK normal service resumed....finally found the issue, there was a poor connection on the umbilical between the Battery Pack and ISO Hub.
All sounding great again and the Intona goes to the back of the class.

Very happy now with the sweetness and the way notes hang that much better in the air with the ISO Hub so I will be handing it back to John at the weekend for next in line.
I expect John will fit a new cable which should be more robust in design.

The Uptone ISO Regen hit a hitch in manufacturing so I may not see it for a while yet to compare so best to let my grip off the ISO Hub for the next person to try.
Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I have.....back to enjoying music :-)

Post by jkeny »

Yes, Pearse - I'll have to talk to the QA department about those cables
Great that it's singing again

I believe Sloop John B was next in line - anybody else want to be next after SJB?
www.Ciunas.biz
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fascinating, and a strong blow against the "expectation bias" explanation for any differences heard in these things. You heard a difference first, no difference in a later run, had the balls to state it, and then found the problem and got the sound back. Good ears, Pearse, and nice work, John.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yes, Simon, Pearse says it as he sees (hears) it.
This could work as part of your downgraded audio system - small computer, ISO-DAC & powered speakers - neat, simple but with good sound.
www.Ciunas.biz
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

jkeny wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 pm Yes, Pearse - I'll have to talk to the QA department about those cables
Great that it's singing again

I believe Sloop John B was next in line - anybody else want to be next after SJB?

Due to am impending house move next week (for renovation) I'll have to give up my place on the list and if builders make good time I might just catch the ends of the tour in October?

.sjb