Cables from 8audio-mall... any thoughts?

cybot

Re: Cables from 8audio-mall... any thoughts?

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:I´ll take a stab at the answers:

1. I like the twisted pair stuff that he had, and I usually have found that for interconnects, the lighter wire is better, so maybe 24 or 26g

2. For speaker cables I think you´re better off going for something heavier, like 16g, and I donºt think he stocks any that heavy.

3. Hard to beat eichmann bullets, but they are $$$. I use some wbt knock-offs from a chinese seller, they have worked very well for me but are much harder to solder to. I don't have a link here, but I think the seller name was valab.

4. No. I only use the older lead solder, but due to the stupid eurocrats (rohs regulations), its getting harder and harder to source.

5. I have found it to be very neutral, with zero colouration. Performs very well and holds its own against most cables upto couple of hundred euro. Having said that, I'm using silver plated copper rather than pure silver ('cos I'm cheap!!).

Finally, its fun to try out the different interconnects, but if you have to go buy solder, iron, all the bits and bobs, then its probably cheaper to buy from AndyS - his cables are really very good.
Fran
Thanks Fran for taking time out to answer my queries... Peter (Deco Audio) was telling me that the silver content solder was so superior to the lead stuff you wouldn't believe! I was just after doing my arm rewire and I was joking that the improvement in sound was down to the high silver content in the solder :-) He also mentioned that it smelled horrible too....
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well, just to be clear...

1. There's the old lead tin solder that is getting hard to get as the rohs status means very few carry it anymore, and no-one makes it. However, it solders lovely, and is easy to work. I bought a kilo roll a few years back and its getting pretty short... hope I can find some more

2. There's silver solder that has a small amount of silver (no lead I think) in it which I understand is there to modify how the solder sets, but seems sexier to use solder for audio that has silver in the name. Its a pain to work with, doesn't flow as nicely and if memory serves me right, doesn't stick as easily.

3. Specialty solders like the cardas eutectic one, which is probably the one your friend is referring to. I have heard people recommend it, but its pretty pricey so have never gone there......

On top of that all the electronics giants use special solders that suit the smd components - stuff that liquifies at low temps etc that won't harm the components. but they generally aren't available....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

The only proper silver solder I ever used in the workshop was flat and had to be heated with a blow torch surrounded with fire bricks....It's so long ago since I used to do that...... the old memory is a bit purple hazy :-) Still if it was well done you wouldn't even see the join....
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

oooh, no thats real silver solder -the high temp stuff.

What these lads are calling silver solder is (I think) properly known as silver bearing solder or something....

Was your tonearm stuff the cardas solder?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:oooh, no thats real silver solder -the high temp stuff.

What these lads are calling silver solder is (I think) properly known as silver bearing solder or something....

Was your tonearm stuff the cardas solder?

Fran
I think so but not completely sure. All I know is it was a lot stiffer than the normal stuff. Have a look at the pic below and the info that came with it: also looking at the more expensive stuff on the site below they mention ISOweld high silver content solder....

Tonearm rewire kit for internal rewire of turntable tonearm 5M wire

High quality copper Litz wire made up from 30 strands of 0.04mm enamelled copper wire encased in silk easy to work with wire which is strong yet pliable

With 4 x Gold plated cartridge tags with crimps

High silver content solder plus colour coded heat shrink to finish the job
Claus

Post by Claus »

I got a price of 200 USD for the silver 5 meter pair with rhodium plated bananas shipped. It will be very difficult to find or build anything much cheaper so I think I will go for it. If they sound awful at least you have all been saved the trouble ;)
willsandbills

Post by willsandbills »

wondering who andys is,, BTW some of the best cables i have heard were made from 40/50 yr old copper wire that was sourced from usa, originally from old telephone exchange, then my friend had a teccie friend make them up for him
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

willsandbills wrote:wondering who andys is,,
http://stores.ebay.ie/spenny03076342/Ot ... ml?_fsub=1and worth checking out. You can PM him here as he's a member also.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Andy S

Post by Andy S »

Willsandbills

If your ebay name is the same as your forum name here, you bought a pure silver
Fig 8 cable from me a couple of months ago.

I trust it still continues to work well for you.

Regards.

Andy
willsandbills

Post by willsandbills »

yes indeed thats me, i was to buy two more from you but hols got in the way, Yes very very happy with cable and will buy again.