Laitest news

Modest

Laitest news

Post by Modest »

Speaker company Focal JMlab is a new owner of Naim audio? . Something new
http://www.naimaudio.com/news/article/3395
http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-loud ... d-naim.php
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
james

Re: Laitest news

Post by james »

I find this very interesting in that i have a naim amp ...

naim make their own speakers -- never very popular -- so i wonder will they continue to do so after a merger with focal.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Big business I suppose..... but they say they will keep the branding going as it is.
Do or do not, there is no try
Modest

Post by Modest »

More info on Naim forum http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayForu ... 4844685991
it's look like big business . I like Naim early gear and how they sound, it's totally different like Linn stuff, have own taste
Mad to see new focal.co on the market
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
james

Post by james »

It looks to me like a takeover of naim by focal ..

My worry is naim repair options ...

Traditionally you could send your naim stuff off to naim and they would repair/upgrade to as good as when new
or even better. I have a few naim boxes and although i have been too lazy to get them upgraded/repaired i still
liked to have the option

naim make a big deal about 're-cap' i.e replace the capacitores [condensors] on your power-amp/power-supply
hopefully this option will continue [it is quite expensive and for my naim setup would be about 2-5k euros]

what i have is [for those who know naim]
preamp nac82 + 2xhicap [power-supplies]
poweramp nap250
headphones headline + hicap

it may or not be good news

james
Modest

Post by Modest »

james wrote: what i have is [for those who know naim]
preamp nac82 + 2xhicap [power-supplies]
poweramp nap250
headphones headline + hicap
james

Lovely gear ,the better only the Nap 135 monos. What sort of speakers you are using James ?
james

Post by james »

Hi Modest,

I have quad els since about 1980 .. originally used quad 33/303. By the way the max output of the poweramp is reduced to stop it blowing the speakers. [This is an approved naim modification].

james

one problem with naim is that with all the various boxes it is quite hard to change amp without changing everything.

an advantage is cables -- they use din plugs and hardly anyone makes din cables.
JAW

Post by JAW »

I have some really old Naim gear which I'm not using at the moment. I'd every intention of having it recapped and the pots on the pre amp changed, but maybe the moment is gone. I'll phone Naim on Monday and see what they say.The gear I have is:-

NAC 12N - Serial No.0550

SNAPS - Serial No.0085

NAP250 - Serial No.2074