lead shot

DaveF

lead shot

Post by DaveF »

Anyone ever used or bought lead shot to tune the bass on their speakers? Where can I pick up some in Dublin and how much can I expect to pay? Any alternative materials besides drying out sand in an oven!
Since the other half is away for the week I've totally rearranged the the place and the speakers are now firing down the length of the room. The difference in sound has been surprising and unexpected. A bit less boom on some recordings which was welcome so I'm thinking of tuning the mass-loading-chamber in the speaker might be worthwhile.

There is going to be all out war when she returns to this.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Re: lead shot

Post by Ivor »

Derek often recommended a shot blast material (I think) for loading speakers. If he doesn't see this I'll give him a shout to post it tomorrow. Incidentally, if using sand buy a few bags of play sand from the Early Learning Centre. It's dry and lime free and perfect for loading.
Personally I believe speakers and stands MUST be loaded. The difference is huge.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

You won't get lead shot here - nearest is the UK. Last time I looked no. 9 shot was about 50 pounds for 25kg. Plus postage. The shot blast material is good, not as heavy as the shot though. SC grit I think and cheap too. But that stuff is sharp as hell and easy to get everywhere. Make sure you put it in a plastic bag so it's easy to remove.
Do or do not, there is no try
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

David, you could post a photo of the new layout before she gets back and restores the old layout!
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Derek

Post by Derek »

Ivor wrote:Derek often recommended a shot blast material (I think) for loading speakers. If he doesn't see this I'll give him a shout to post it tomorrow.
It’s the stuff used to grit blast, it’s a graded copper slag and very heavy.
I don’t remember the name of the place but I know where it is in JFK Ind Est off the Longmile Road. If you like I can pick up a bag. (I won’t really be picking it up I’ll get help).
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Thanks for the offer Derek but I'll hold off on it for now. I may be looking at a speaker change anyway so it might not be needed in the long run.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP