New speakers or Eist Dubh 2!

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
tony

Re: New speakers or Eist Dubh 2!

Post by tony »

Talking to Ivor today didn't realise the Eist's will be solid Walnut! Very nice I remember posting here in the beginning stages of Tirnahifi about Hart speakers I think that were in walnut and I queried if they were solid or veneer.Turned out they were veneer.

Certainly these could be very special and it will be interesting to hear if they end up sounding differently to the corian material normally used.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DaveF wrote:You seem to be more than happy with the speakers Ivor. The search for Quad replacements didnt that long afterall. Would you think that the more room around them compared to the Quads help the sound? (Something I need to experiment with here)

I guess the preamp might be up for sale at some point?
I'm still moving the Eists around so can't really say. The quads do need the space behind them broken up so you will have a bit of trial & error going on for a while.

Yeah I will most likely sell the preamp. I paid something like 259 sterling and have replaced the tubes (caps were changed just before I got it) so I'd be looking for €250. Phono never worked for me, probably something small enough but I can't vouch for it.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

Welcome to the Eist Owners Club Ivor, very nice write up, I hope they'll live long in your system.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I put this camera photo up on facebook last night... the Eists sitting comfortably in the back room... sounding good out of the box, looking forward to them breaking in and warming up. Beautiful job by the lads, superb workmanship. Detailed (and better quality) photos, and of course, musical reports to follow.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Derek wrote:Welcome to the Eist Owners Club Ivor, very nice write up, I hope they'll live long in your system.
thanks Derek, it really shouldn't be such an exclusive club.... you know me, I'll hold on to a component I like for 7 -10 years and if I think it's working well I'll hold on to it.

tony

Post by tony »

They do look at lot nicer than the wardrobes. Beautiful excellent choice Ivor best looking finish I have seen in a speaker for a long time and one I very much like. Can't beat solid wood and walnut is one of the favourite timbers
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.