internal v external phono preamp.

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
bonenut

internal v external phono preamp.

Post by bonenut »

hi,new here.was wondering about the above.i am upgrading my second system which will have a primare i20 amp,a rega rp6 turntable and soon to be upgraded bowers and wilkins dm 220 speakers.

the primare does not have a phono input so do i buy a pre amp(what level of price do i need to go to so as to not to degrade my 'decent' system,and also i dont want to waste money if i am not going to notice it)....i was looking at the rega mini mm at about269euro.

or am i better buying a decent amp second hand with a phono input,there are really good amps in here and on adverts for decent money like the leema acoustics amp on adverts for about 450 euro(was 1200 pounds sterling).
Ivor

Re: internal v external phono preamp.

Post by Ivor »

bonenut wrote:hi,new here.was wondering about the above.i am upgrading my second system which will have a primare i20 amp,a rega rp6 turntable and soon to be upgraded bowers and wilkins dm 220 speakers.

the primare does not have a phono input so do i buy a pre amp(what level of price do i need to go to so as to not to degrade my 'decent' system,and also i dont want to waste money if i am not going to notice it)....i was looking at the rega mini mm at about269euro.

or am i better buying a decent amp second hand with a phono input,there are really good amps in here and on adverts for decent money like the leema acoustics amp on adverts for about 450 euro(was 1200 pounds sterling).
Well that Leema is a bargain and I believe it's a great amp. I imagine it's phono stage is going to better than the likes of the Rega or other cheap and cheerful phono amps. You'd be looking for Tom Evans or Graham Slee levels at least! You could also go in a slightly different direction and look at valve phono amps... again you'll have to spend a few bob but they should be considered. There's a few cheap options in tube amps that I don't know about too... anybody familiar with Yaqin? A quick google might be good!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/YAQIN-MS-22B-MS- ... 0924509022
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
bonenut

Post by bonenut »

thanks for the reply.i was looking at the valve pre amps and i think they would be the same as valve amps you have to spend big money to get a quality one,the rest are gimmicky.i might have a look at that leema or other amps on adverts.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

You could also give Cloney a ring and see what they have....
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
bonenut

Post by bonenut »

dont see anything on there website,might give them a ring.cheers.