Lampizator Big7

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
nige2000

Re: Lampizator Big7

Post by nige2000 »

That's not empty?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Do I detect a lack of belief? You will notice the attractive green carpet and me Meitner Ma1 used as support for the LZ bits

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/z56kdl8xxhws ... a_QVU-dbea

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yrr5optsxkjv ... ZSUySblUxa
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Doing some catching up here on recent work so more pics from the Copper Top I got for the Big7 last year and works a treat for dampening some small hum.
I see Lukasz now offers a copper top for the new Golden Gate High End Big7.....

Also some pics of the recent change of the Amanero USB card from the back to the side which has helped shorten the i2s lines so no more DSD issues.
I have a second Amanero USB card in behind this now with a Reclocker and battery but have not managed to get it working yet.

Last edited by Sligolad on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Sligolad »

Got the Mutec MC3 + USB today and just hooked it up to the Lampizator Big7 on AES/EBU and it beats the crap out of the USB Amanero in.
Sounds really organic and musical out of the box so will give it a few days to settle before commenting much more.

I am feeding it off a dedicated Audio PC with all Linear supplies, with A JCat USB card going through a Regen then into the MC3.

The all German instructions with it were no good to me so I went at it blind and got music, need to find an English Manual now and see if I have it setup right but it sounds great on all 16 44, 24 88 & 24 96 tracks I listened to this evening.

I expect this will cause a stir in the field of USB to SPdif convertors, my first foray into this field and I am glad I made the jump and the Big7 is loving the change from USB for over a year now, never knew what I was missing.
Cheers,
Pearse.

Post by nige2000 »

im not overly surprised at the improvement, i had a gut feeling that there was more effort put into the spdif side of the lampi, the usb amanero side looked very "stock", combine that with the well clocked signal from the Mutec really should be a good lift
Do you recall when we tested the ciunas usb to spdif converter on tonys lampi 4, it improved a lot of stuff
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:im not overly surprised at the improvement, i had a gut feeling that there was more effort put into the spdif side of the lampi, the usb amanero side looked very "stock", combine that with the well clocked signal from the Mutec really should be a good lift
Do you recall when we tested the ciunas usb to spdif converter on tonys lampi 4, it improved a lot of stuff
Yes, agreed, Nige
I always thought that the I2S lines from that Amanero board in the Lampi were much too long & passing over unknown areas of electrical/RF influence.
Not to mention - I don't know the power going to the Amanero - I think it's a 5V from somewhere else in the Lampi.

Pearse, the best solution I can suggest is to locate the Amanero board over the board that it feeds I2S into with the I2S wires about an inch or so.
Run a USB cable from it to a USB receiver port on the case & run the Amanero off 3.3V battery.
The next step up - your reclocker board + clocks running off the same battery
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:im not overly surprised at the improvement, i had a gut feeling that there was more effort put into the spdif side of the lampi, the usb amanero side looked very "stock", combine that with the well clocked signal from the Mutec really should be a good lift
Yes, agreed, Nige
I always thought that the I2S lines from that Amanero board in the Lampi were much too long & passing over unknown areas of electrical/RF influence.
Not to mention - I don't know the power going to the Amanero - I think it's a 5V from somewhere else in the Lampi.

Pearse, the best solution I can suggest is to locate the Amanero board over the board that it feeds I2S into with the I2S wires about an inch or so.
Run a USB cable from it to a USB receiver port on the case & run the Amanero off 3.3V battery.
The next step up - your reclocker board + clocks running off the same battery
Any idea what that green board is for, the one i2s goes into before the dac chips below it?
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:Any idea what that green board is for, the one i2s goes into before the dac chips below it?
I don't know exactly - I haven't really looked into the Lampi but I imagine it is to do with routing of PCM Vs DSD & possibly handling DSD (I don't believe DSD is handled by the DAC chips)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:Any idea what that green board is for, the one i2s goes into before the dac chips below it?
I don't know exactly - I haven't really looked into the Lampi but I imagine it is to do with routing of PCM Vs DSD & possibly handling DSD (I don't believe DSD is handled by the DAC chips)
dsd to pcm conversion and pcm pass through?
think it sounds like pcm179X also same type chips
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
jkeny wrote:
dsd to pcm conversion and pcm pass through?
I think the Lampi claims to handle DSD natively without conversion to PCM & without using DAC chips? So that board's functions might involving routing of the signals?
think it sounds like pcm179X also same type chips
Agreed, I reckon the DAC chips are probably PCM1796 in dual mono config, handling PCM
www.Ciunas.biz