Turntable Mats -

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
ConorW

Turntable Mats -

Post by ConorW »

Thought I would share a good experience.
When looking for ways ways to improve the performance of my Lenco self build turntable I am a bit skeptical at claims made by some hifi item to 'dramatically improve sound'. I often go mad going back and forth trying to detect small differences.

However I was in the States last week and ordered a Turntable Mat from an online site, Herbie's Audio Lab http://herbiesaudiolab.net/index.htm. Gave it a spin the other day and was amazed to hear such an improvement in sound quality. It cleaned up the presentation and certainly improved the clarity of higher frequencies - acoustic guitars, cymbals, vocals etc.

I had been using the original Lenco rubber mat. Herbie's mat was thicker (5.56mm) so may have improved the VTA but I am really happy with results.
He does some other products also and I believe delivers WW.

Didn't think a mat would make such a difference.
Conor
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
bod

Re: Turntable Mats -

Post by bod »

Recently picked up an Acromat second hand. Works wonders on acrylic platters. Highly recommended for anyone using such.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

When you think about it's the interface between platter and vinyl so not too surprising it would make a difference. I too have been impressed with the degree of difference. I did have a Clearaudio HARMONICER which was pretty good and then "upgraded" to the Funk Acromat and found tighter bass and a cleaner sound. I decided to get a genuine Roksan felt mat a while ago and I don't think it performs any better than the acromat but there ye go.... it looks the part. So I now have a spare Acromat!
I think Herbie's Audio Lab does sell worldwide as I think I've bought stuff from him... maybe the Clearaudio mat.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
bod

Post by bod »

I pretty much had the same experience (Harmonicer to Archromat) and found the difference to be considerable. While the Harmonicer gave a very detailed dynamic view of things I have found the Achromat to be better in every area as it seems to soak up so much more spurious vibration and give a much smoother, more relaxed sound that I prefer. Kind of like good tape without the hiss etc. Nice on the old ears :-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Just in case anyone else might be interested in this mat I recently bought an acrylic platter mat from this eBay seller. To be honest I did not buy it with the expectation of a dramatic sonic improvement in mind [despite the inevitable claims]. I was getting increasingly frustrated with the standard mat coming away with the record when I lifted the vinyl off the platter. It is a simple acrylic mat and it is a good fit, sitting into the rim of the Linn platter. It also looks much better visually on the TT. BTW, there was a small perceptible sonic enhancement with the presentation of the music; a general lifting of the music overall. The mat is also suitable for other TTs and was delivered very quickly by the seller.

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

Having never invested in a mat before and intrigued by Conor's initial post I decided to investigate. Just by pure accident when I went looking for a replacement stylus I came across Analoge Seduction. I duly ordered the stylus and impressed with the service and generally easy going manner of the chap I was dealing with (Simon) I decided to investigate further. To make a long story short I was sold on the reasonably priced Analogue Studio's composite cork/rubber mat which I purchased. This, of course, is their own brand of affordable hi fi accessories.....

My initial impressions were that music seemed to have better separation, with a lively calmness and, what I can only describe as more control in the bass but without losing it's essential airiness. Another very important and very worthwhile aspect of the mat was the complete absence of static in comparison to my foam mat. No sudden jolts anymore! I'm actually very prone to static anyway...

Finally I have to say their quality of service/packing is first rate and being very normal down to earth guys it's a no brainer that Analogue Seduction will be my first port of call for all things hi fi related from now on.....

http://www.analogueseduction.net/turnta ... e-mat.html

Last edited by cybot on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:Just in case anyone else might be interested in this mat I recently bought an acrylic platter mat from this eBay seller. To be honest I did not buy it with the expectation of a dramatic sonic improvement in mind [despite the inevitable claims]. I was getting increasingly frustrated with the standard mat coming away with the record when I lifted the vinyl off the platter. It is a simple acrylic mat and it is a good fit, sitting into the rim of the Linn platter. It also looks much better visually on the TT. BTW, there was a small perceptible sonic enhancement with the presentation of the music; a general lifting of the music overall. The mat is also suitable for other TTs and was delivered very quickly by the seller.

That's a gorgeous looking mat Fergus! I'd say the Linn mat drove you potty ;) I used to use double sided tape to keep the mat in place.....
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote: That's a gorgeous looking mat Fergus! I'd say the Linn mat drove you potty ;) I used to use double sided tape to keep the mat in place.....

Cheers Dermot. Yes the original mat nearly drove me insane! Anything was better than that thing!!
Well done on your own purchase.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote: That's a gorgeous looking mat Fergus! I'd say the Linn mat drove you potty ;) I used to use double sided tape to keep the mat in place.....

Cheers Dermot. Yes the original mat nearly drove me insane! Anything was better than that thing!!
Well done on your own purchase.
Thanks Fergus.