Lampizator Big7

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
jkeny

Re: Lampizator Big7

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: is the golden gate DSD only?
dsd1796
I don't know if it's DSD only but AFAIK, the Lampi does DSD without using a DAC IC i.e it just uses a low pass filter with tubes - so no DSD1796
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ah OK right i was doing a 2+2=5 after I seen this
I didn't even notice the i2s inputImage

Yea that seems to be a completely different kettle of fish
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

That looks like the dual DAC PCM board - the same one as we can see in Pearse's picture under the green board?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:That looks like the dual DAC PCM board - the same one as we can see in Pearse's picture under the green board?
ya seems to be the same board

the pic is from the golden bridge page if lampi website
http://www.lampizator.eu/Fikus/GOLDEN_GATE_DSD_DAC.html

Supposed to be a DSD only DAC by my read of it
Maybe the pics on the goldenbridge page isn't of the golden bridge DAC?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Is it a bridge or a Gate??
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Is it a bridge or a Gate??
Yes gate not bridge

Weird naming
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

OK a lot of water under the Bridge (could not help myself) since I last posted here so a quick update.

Have to share this with you guys, If you want to make a major improvement to your Lampi then there is a 200 Euro addition which will beat all other modifications, valve changes.

I have had my Big7 for just over 2 years now and loved the sound from day one but was always thinking it may be held back by the Amanero USB board.

Last year after getting inspiration from JK and Nige I started learning and swotting and trying to understand I2S and then started playing around with re-clocking, adding Neutron Star Clocks and battery power on the Amanero, they gave small improvements but nothing major.

Earlier this year I jumped on the Singxer F1 bandwagon and this was a major step up for the Big7 both on I2S and over Spdif replacing the Amanero board.

I was very happy with this upgrade until I tried the JL Sounds I2SoverUSB board with the Clock Board attached with Crystek 957 Clocks.

This was an amazing improvement and I mean that sincerely, the improvement was jawdropping.
PCM and DSD never sounded so good, it sounds like my Big7 was in hiding in the long grass for the past 2 years with the Amanero holding it back.
Looking forward to the next get together with Nige's uber modified Soekris DAC and SD Card player to see how the Big7 stacks up now, hopefully it will be much closer.!

I hope Lukasz has been looking at replacing the Amanero board as these new breed of USB to I2S boards with Isolation are a major upgrade and you will not believe how much your DAC has been held back by the Amanaero Board.

Hopefully some of you will be up to trying this and confirming my findings.
In the coming weeks after I try another USB to I2S board I have had waiting in the wings (Nige's Fav board) I will post pictures and the connection diagrams for those handy with a soldering iron.
Maybe Lukasz will offer such an upgrade.....here's hoping :-))

By the way my Big7 is old school with 1x & 2x DSD only and I am using Anniversary 45 Globes (part of the Sablon Audio Group buy) and 2 JAN 6X5GT Rectifiers (old version Big7).

Cheers, Pearse.

Post by jkeny »

Hi Pearse
I don't think it's the Amanero per se, just the implementation in the Lampi but you are probably expecting me to say that? :)
If you remember when Nige & I first looked inside the Lampi, we both concluded that he Amanero board looked to be implemented.

However, what you are probably experiencing is the improvement that isolation brings?

I've had one of those JLSounds I2Sover USB for a long while & it's isolation is good. Isolation after the USB signal is converted to I2S only cleans up some of the issues as what's coming in on USB (jitter noise) seems to get embedded in the I2S signal so that isolating this (which is what the JLSounds board does) ony removes any noise aspect that is still riding on the ground or signal lines.

The optimal place to do isolation is on the incoming USB signals link - this prevents the noise from becoming embedded in the next conversion to I2S

As you know I have been working on USB isolation & USB signal recovery for a while - I'm just about ready to demonstrate some products - all powered by battery, which again makes a significant difference :)

It will be interesting to hear impressions at the next get together
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

if i remember correct the jlsounds reclocks/realigns i2s on output
i think the best place to use good clocks is at the reclocking chip
and been much more beneficial than just clocking the usb to i2s device alone

think usb isolation - usb reclock - 768khz diyinhk usb to i2s - and a i2s reclock
and all powered by lifepo4 will be the DB
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm getting really close to snapping and buying a new DAC, and gosh darnit the memory of the Big 7 at Steve's has really screwed me over. Now to hear it's getting even better..............
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Sonus Faber Signum
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2