Eist Dubh

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
Derek

Eist Dubh

Post by Derek »

OK, time for me to fess-up, I’m the proud owner of Eist Dubh speakers, I have them 3 weeks or so and before that I had a demo pair for 3 weeks or so, they are fabulous, I love ‘em, well I would say that after investing my life savings.

Apologies for the ramblings of what’s to follow:

In all honesty I didn't think I would ever move from my beloved Quad 63’s, I had them for years and they are very special, no one can convince me otherwise, still…

I first encountered the Eist prototype at Fran’s and was very impressed, they had a different finish than the finalised production builds, but sonically identical.

I knew they were delivering the goods in Fran’s home but I wanted to listen to them in mine.
I was fortunate in getting an extended loan of a production demo pair.
Many thanks to Fran & Gerry for that (do they make Ice Cream as well?)

My set-up consists of; Airtight ATM4 delivering 24watts per, Pink Triangle LPT with a Roksan Artemiz tonearm and Clearaudio Discovery cart, a DIY Shiga-clone CDP into a DIY Buffalo DAC. Cables are a mix of Dalkey Audio, PS Audio and some home grown. The speaker cable is Nanotec.

I rigged the Eist speakers to my system and really wasn't prepared for the difference, these are very clean, clear and detailed with wonderful separation, I love the space they give to instruments, bass is tight and precise, but above all they are engaging, this was the key to my changing.

From the very first passage of music I knew I was in trouble, curiosity had provided the itch I had to scratch, I hadn't realised at that time I was in for weeks of some intense listening coupled to some great insights along with some fabulous conversations.
I must extend my profound thanks to a few people; Fergus for making the journey to mine and spending a day putting up with swapping the speakers again and again, listening to pieces of music over & over, his insight and assessment proved invaluable, many thanks Fergus.
To Pearse, he allowed this reprobate invade his home and take over his system for an afternoon. I had a ball that day. Pearse a gentleman through and through tossed in his lot with mine and we tested the bejeezus out of the Eist. His Quad 63’s sang beautifully and the Eist were a foil to them, as much a surprise in his system as in mine.
Also to Ronan, he gave up an afternoon to help me make my mind up, instead, we gave up, listened to some great music and let afternoon look after itself.
Fergus summed up the situation I had put myself into; “I don’t envy your task” he said, kinked with laughter as he headed out the door.

The Eist v Quad sound are as Apples v Oranges, I enjoy both, but find my preference changes with mood, taste, accompaniment etc.
The Quad delivery is analogue, they love being partnered with Valves and the use of vinyl as a source just sets them up for long blissful non-fatiguing evenings. I've done this on so very many times it was just second nature, feet up, glass of 18 year old amber nectar at my side and enjoy.

The Eist are more engaging, they ask you to listen they want you to be involved, to look deeper into the music. They invite you to analyse what you are hearing, and because of their clarity & openness you can.
Following instrumentation behind the lead is effortless. Dynamics are part and parcel with them, micro-dynamics are apparent and refined, soft counter melodies are easier to spot and follow.

When listening with Fergus on his suggestion we followed an acoustic guitar playing in the background. With the quads I had to listen hard for it, search, if you like.
With the Eist not only was it easy to follow, the guitarist had fitted new strings, it was still in the background but in its own space, I could readily identify the contribution it was making.

The point that tipped the balance, was when sitting home one Tuesday evening browsing through a music magazine, I had the Eist playing at a low level, I found myself following lyrics without having noticed that I had, for some minutes,stopped reading, this never happened with the Quads.
That was that, I put in an order for a pair.

These speakers are detailed, clear and precise, brutally unforgiving and very revealing of amplification & source. Each change shows up straight away.
The Eist show the music as it was intended, when the music calls for it the sound stage is wide and deep, it’s also tight and intimate when the music dictates. Live recordings are reproduced so you can pick the row you are sitting in.
I don’t like room sized acoustic guitars, old Blues players are front and centre between the speakers and not overblown. Vocals have a very natural tone.
Bass is tight without getting boomy, blotted or flabby. It doesn't overshadow or get in the way of anything else.
There is nothing sagging or loose about the sound.

If you were fortunate to have attended any of the Sessions in the Listening Suite with the wonderful Avantgardes then you will have some understanding of these little horn loaded speakers.

Several forum members have now listened to these speakers for long or short periods if any of you would like to add to this piece please do.

If anyone would like to get a listen give me a shout.
Bring some Cds, Vinyl, Amps, Wine & Cheese whatever!
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Diapason

Re: Eist Dubh

Post by Diapason »

Great report Derek, and congrats on the new purchase! I really need to hear these soon.

So what happened to the Quads? Were you tempted to keep them too...?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Sonus Faber Signum
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ah holy God they don't write reviews like that any more! Wonderful stuff! Rules of engagement - that's what it's all about. Anyway we're happy that you're happy :) I particularly loved this passage :

"Also to Ronan, he gave up an afternoon to help me make my mind up, instead, we gave up, listened to some great music and let afternoon look after itself."

A lesson to be learned methinks......

Finally I have to mention Fergus; An absolute gentleman who is always there to give advice when needed and, well, we are extremely lucky to have him among us.....Thank you from all of us :)
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

i bought a set of these too, i probably have had a set in my possession for more than three months including the demo,
i was captivated by these the first evening i heard them in Frans at a pc audio meet
i just thought they were something special and i ended up bringing a demo home
then the thought of leaving them back was just too much for me, so i had to get a pair.

i knew that i couldn't keep this to myself and id have to spread the good news eventually
i also knew i would find difficulty finding words to give the Eist Dubh's justice so Well done Derek that was just a fabulously accurate description.
id have very little to add but for me they have:

the ability to create a great sound stage
speed and accuracy when music gets fast and detailed these will not hold you back, theres notes in your tracks you never heard before
clarity great vocal and instrumental clarity
vocal and instrumental separation theres air and distance between them clear and distinct

im sure i forgot some stuff but ill add it in later

thanks to Ken and Tony that helped me do some speaker benchmarking and the lighting of my pocket

nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Derek

Post by Derek »

Diapason wrote:Great report Derek, and congrats on the new purchase! I really need to hear these soon.

So what happened to the Quads? Were you tempted to keep them too...?
Hi Si
If you want to come to mine you'll be very welcome.
As for the Quads another forum member had first refusal for many a long while and I'm sure they are both very happy...
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
tony

Post by tony »

Congrats Derek, Was shocked when I heard you moved on the 63's but they have gone to a good home. Thought they were lifers. Your review is a testament to Fran and Gerry's work. Funny thing both yourself and Nigel would be regarded as having the special 'ear' for components and both have ended up with Eist Dubh's!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Eist Audio

Post by Eist Audio »

We're blushing!!!

Many thanks Derek, Nigel for your kind words!!!

I think we would agree with everything you've written there. When you mention quads - well they're a thing close to our own hearts.

Personally speaking (fran) I have long been a Quad 57 devotee and personally I never thought I would change. The day I realised a prototype of the Dubhs not only gave me everything that the quads did, but more again, I was really excited. That was my commitment point.

If anyone would like to call and have a listen, you would be more than welcome. Also you would be welcome to bring any of your own equipment to try out. If you like what you hear we can organise a home demo for you.

Thanks again to all for your good wishes and encouragement along the way, it really means a lot to us!
mick

Post by mick »

Hi Nigel, what amp are you using to drive the Eist Dubh. I know Derek's Airtight amp is a brilliant amp and is an ideal match for them.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

mick wrote:Hi Nigel, what amp are you using to drive the Eist Dubh. I know Derek's Airtight amp is a brilliant amp and is an ideal match for them.
I got a S/H Diy amp from the states its a peter Daniel's gainclone dual mono and its got a nelson pass B1 buffer preamp in the case too. its not too bad
Dereks airtight is fantastic,

Dear Santa.......

nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
fergus

Post by fergus »

Lovely review Derek and all true which is more to the point. I have said at the beginning that these are special speakers and need to be heard so anyone who has not yet heard them should do so. They take a little bit of listening adjustment from the listener but it quite quickly becomes very apparent how good they are. I know that you are very happy and that they will give you endless hours of listening pleasure.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra