Seasick Steve 23rd Feb

k99_64

Seasick Steve 23rd Feb

Post by k99_64 »

People: Me+Fran.

Summary: Two old ugly bastards on stage that were amazing both as a musical and visual spectacle.

Review:
The stage has a drum kit on it with a minimal set up, bass, floor tom, one tom tom and a snare. Hi-hats, two amazing Zildjian's and then one battered to bejasus ride/crash.
To the right: Three chairs (Three??), one is holding a small guitar amp with a mike attached another chair is beside it and the last one seems randomly sitting there facing to the right of the crowd.

I am going to pretend that the warm up act never happened. Fran will back me up here. Also I will not try to mention the idiots in the crowd.

The stage goes dark, applause starts, then a apparition appears. The drummer Dan shows up, long grey hair and a longer grey beard than Mr Seasick. Then Steve shows up playing his guitar all the while getting up and personal with the crowd, I'm afraid to say that I was staring at the drummer most of the time. To quote Fran 'He's as close to animal as you will ever get'. Dan looks dazed and confused (:D) but when he starts to play boy he doesn't hold back. Hair and drum sticks everywhere.

They are excellent, at the start of the third song Steve proclaims 'Some people really don't know who they work for...but i know who i work for, I work for all of U. And i'm happy to have a job!'
Towards the end of 'happy to have a job' though something is amiss, with Steve showing us 'how happy he is' with a awesome fast paced solo Dan looks bolloxed. Sweat is pouring off this guy and when the song ends Dan walks off to the back stage.

However its time for 'walking man' and Steve needs a girl to play the song too, hence the need for the one extra chair is reveled. He picks a pretty girl with a short skirt (The audience is 95% male) but she is mortified. I have never seen someone squirm so much in my life. Dan plays drums for the second half of the song.

We are then treated to some of Steves stories and songs like Chiggers and night. Then it gets reveled to us that Dan is sick (seasick?) but dan continues on! Diddley Bo, as Steve says 'For those of you that don't know what a Diddley Bo is, its basically anything with a piece of string on it....this piece of shit is a 2X4 with a string nailed to it' and Seasick Boogie. For the encore its only Steve cause Dan has gone to hospital, but he puts on one hell of a show.

Overall it was one hell of a gig he shows that you really don't need fireworks and stage gimmicks for a great show. If you get the chance go see Mr. Steve. You will not be disappointed.

Img not in vickers.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Seasick Steve 23rd Feb

Post by Fran »

Great write up K99!!

and yes, what a show!! We only got the tickets kinda last minute, but boy was I glad to go.
hair and drumsticks everywhere
LOL - however, this was literally true!! In the intro to some of the songs he actually looked like that gorilla from the ad - eyes closed, breathing slowly, readjusting his grip on the sticks!! He was actually carted off to hospital during the show so I hope he's ok.....

Great great gig.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
b318isp

Post by b318isp »

Great write up - and it reminds me of the gig I was at last night - Air in the Olympia.

Air seem to have a very select following, judging by the people there last night. Like SSS, they too seem to prefer a minimalist approach - no pyrotechnics, very simple lighting and ancient EV speakers. The stage was lifted by a basic front projected backdrop.

Even the instruments were olde worlde (if you can call 70/80's equipment old). A Fender precision bass (toned to be bass light) and a Guild acoustic (made to sound almost like a solid electric) were paired with Wurlitzer/Korg Mx20/Moog/Hammond/vocoder etc. stuff. There was more wood in the equipment than in the stage itself. The MX20 was reprogrammed after every song by a technician too.

I was impressed of the fact that two people could get quite intricate mixes going live - I was afraid that it would be predominantly preprogrammed.

The gig wasn't your usual whizz bang event, you could see that Air spend quite a lot of time crafting rather than getting your adreniline going. You could see that they love sound for sound's sake and that they are not interested in prestige names. And Nico Godin is on one of the best bass players I have seen for a long time, very natural at all points on neck...it ain't what you got, but what you do with it could easily be their motto.
k99_64

Post by k99_64 »

yes.....air.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fran wrote:He was actually carted off to hospital during the show
Rock n' roll!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2