Castle are back in business?!?!?!

cybot

Castle are back in business?!?!?!

Post by cybot »

I just found out today (Hi-Fi Choice) that Castle are back in business and have a new range called the Knight series. Prices start at £300.00 and go up to £1000.00. They are available now. Tony will be shittin' himself :-))

http://www.castle.uk.com/
tony

Re: Castle are back in business?!?!?!

Post by tony »

Shittin myself,Thats a step too far I dont think I have quiet got to that stage of life yet I must check later!
I had a look at the site and they seem very nice. I read something awhile ago about some company from china buying the name. I think they may be manufactured there but I have no idea if they are copies of previous products or new designs. Certainly cheaper than other british manufacturers so will be interesting to see how they are reviewed.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

I see why you are so excited I had a deeper look they have virtually all the old speaker types(names) available some modified.
They could go down a storm if prices are good
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
cybot

Post by cybot »

The managing director is one Peter Comeau who has an impeccable pedigree re. loudspeaker design. As you probably know he was also heavily involved with World Audio Designs. Yes, they are based in China but don't hold that against them! As far as I know their aim is retain the classic Castle sound/styling.I also noticed that the upward facing driver has gone, to be repositioned on the front baffle. Finally, the top of the new range (Knight 5) goes down to 30 Hz and has a 90dB efficiency rating plus 8 ohm impedience.My own Castle Howards go down to 38 Hz. Anyway I'll be watching very carefully!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Very interesting I agree....one to watch all right!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
JAW

Post by JAW »

Wow! Peter Comeau used to write reviews in HiFi Answers back in the day, and then set up Heybrook, which got a good reputation as far as I remember. The guys got the pedigree!
tony

Post by tony »

http://www.castle.uk.com/ClassicSeries/ ... fault.aspx

Howard S3 upward firing driver. cabinet is smaller than your type.
Andy S

Post by Andy S »

That is indeed good news that Castle are back in business, albeit in China as the original Castle Acoustics was based in Skipton, North Yorkshire, a place I went to Grammar School and also worked there for 3 years at the start of my career!

I wish them every success!
Last edited by Andy S on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

tony wrote:http://www.castle.uk.com/ClassicSeries/ ... fault.aspx

Howard S3 upward firing driver. cabinet is smaller than your type.
Thanks for that Tony. For some reason I didn't bother checking their 'old' series; maybe it's because I'm still in a state of shock that they're back in business especially in this volatile climate! So the big question is do people go for the classic range or the new Knight range??? More importantly, which is 'better'???
tony

Post by tony »

I rang the uk office today just to see how much they are charging for the howards .Turns out the only ones being sold in the uk for the moment are the knights. They will see how it goes and then maybe launch other products. So the site is a bit misleading.
That compay own quad wharfedale and tag mclaren etc