Cables from 8audio-mall... any thoughts?

Claus

Cables from 8audio-mall... any thoughts?

Post by Claus »

Without intending opening the ever contended can of worms (or snakes as some people call the "hoses" that connect our equipment) I have been tempted by these attractive looking chinese cables after a long discussion on a danish forum about the (non) virtues of expensive cables. The newish danish company zensati was one of the examples given of astronomic prices per 50 centimeter lengths! Though not as much as the Allan Shane Modena @ 55,000 USD!

These are the ones I think look interesting:
http://www.8audio-mall.com/servlet/the- ... Categories

I have emailed them and they are very responsive and seem serious enough ;) Just thought it would be worth a try at the price. I need 5 meter pair so they are going to see if that is possible :D
Diapason

Re: Cables from 8audio-mall... any thoughts?

Post by Diapason »

Let us know how you get on, Claus. You know I've had a mixed relationship with cables over the years myself, but I eventually decided the system sounded better with the good stuff whether I could explain it or not. Good luck with it!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Sonus Faber Signum
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Surely a seasoned diyer like yourself would be buying some silver in Teflon from navships on ebay and making your own :-)?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Claus

Post by Claus »

Ok Fran, I give in! Can you find a link to the ebayer you mention?
Would this be an option?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Silver-9 ... 0710wt_907
I keep reading that I should get silver plated copper for best highs and bas... Hmmm...
Looked DH Labs Q-10 which is also good value and reviews are very good on Danish forum...
Andy S

Post by Andy S »

Claus

Here is a link to Navships (John's) wire shop.

http://stores.ebay.com/Johns-Silver-Tef ... 4340.l2563

Regards

Andy
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

That's the one - good to deal with too...
fergus

Post by fergus »

I might be an idea to put that link into the "Worthwile Links" thread as well Fran just for future reference.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

Since nobody else is asking, here goes: especially for valve amps....

1. Which of John's silver is the best for interconnects?

2. Which is the best for speaker cable?

3. What connectors would one recommend?

4. Is it necessary to use high silver content solder?

5. How would one describe the sound of silver?

Thanks in advance....
Claus

Post by Claus »

It is going to be hard to make something at the same price as these chinese offerings. I am willing to try it. They do custom lengths of the ones I interested in. I might try the silver one... ;)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I´ll take a stab at the answers:

1. I like the twisted pair stuff that he had, and I usually have found that for interconnects, the lighter wire is better, so maybe 24 or 26g

2. For speaker cables I think you´re better off going for something heavier, like 16g, and I donºt think he stocks any that heavy.

3. Hard to beat eichmann bullets, but they are $$$. I use some wbt knock-offs from a chinese seller, they have worked very well for me but are much harder to solder to. I don't have a link here, but I think the seller name was valab.

4. No. I only use the older lead solder, but due to the stupid eurocrats (rohs regulations), its getting harder and harder to source.

5. I have found it to be very neutral, with zero colouration. Performs very well and holds its own against most cables upto couple of hundred euro. Having said that, I'm using silver plated copper rather than pure silver ('cos I'm cheap!!).

Finally, its fun to try out the different interconnects, but if you have to go buy solder, iron, all the bits and bobs, then its probably cheaper to buy from AndyS - his cables are really very good.

Fran