Mark 2 HiFace USB-SPDIF mods by jkeny

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
jkeny

Re: Mark 2 HiFace USB-SPDIF mods by jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ah, shucks Fran, I didn't know we were buddies - I'm embarrassed - must send you a bestest friends forever card :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

LOL!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

ah yer a proper bollix really. I may have to arrange a ban!!!
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Jaysus, I knew you were fickle ............. is this our first on-line tiff :(
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I bet yis are sorry yis got them tattoos now.

ImageImage
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

yea, my name has just such complicated Chinese characters, I had to leave the room when Fran was screaming at the tatoo artist - the big Wuss!!
www.Ciunas.biz
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Comic book store guy says it best:

Do or do not, there is no try
audioexcels

Post by audioexcels »

Fran wrote:Yes, and don't forget that the shiga is only a transport - you still need to add on a DAC!!

The way to go here is to buy a JKDAC32 or JKDAC, provided you are happy enough to use a laptop, do the rips, and playback in that way. Some people like the ritual of choosing and putting on a CD etc. Some people work all day with laptops and shudder at the thoughts of using one to relax. If none of that bothers you, then Johns DAC offers probably the best value for money out there.

Now that I've said all that, I do have to disclose that John is a friend of mine, we both DIY and bounce ideas etc off each other and so on. Having said all that, I did put my money where my mouth is and I have a JKDAC32 in almost daily use here. I'm saying all this so that you don't think I'm shilling the product, but realise I do know John......

Fran
I appreciate your honesty and I doubt many that would have read the MKII review would even know what a Shigaclone is unless they had stumbled on the thread like I did once.

I don't find putting a cd into a mechanism to be anything special at all. It's more convenient for me to just find a track on my computer and play it then get up every time and change out a cd that I may only care to be listening to one or a few songs off of. Vinyl would be something entirely different, requires some actual care and even quite a search to find an exceptional phono stage, cartridge, arm that goes well with cartridge, stable platter, and then playing the vinyl...that's an "experience" where cd is just like popping in a flash drive to play music.

I've seen other comparisons not of John's work, but similarly priced USB converters that are equal to or better listener dependent to the Shigaclone, so while it may be a special transport, it's not for me given I am all for having music in a computer or on a table (vinyl).

I like your tatoos. Did you guys get them done during your trip to Thailand?:))))

Cheers!