Speakers

tony

Speakers

Post by tony »

Was looking for a pair of speakers before xmas. Wanted Spendor A5's but funds didnt allow. I bought a pair of Avi Postitrons off ebay based on advice from Andy and Ivor. Really delighted with them,lovely clean sound with reasonable taunt bass. Being honest I bought them as they were similar size as spendors(maybe hoping for similar delivery for fraction of the cost) and from the good advice offered there was a strong chance they would suit my needs at least for the moment.
They havent disappointed.Dermot who suggested castle howards I think would be a bit underwhelmed by the delivery of these units but being a semid I cant afford to blow the house down with huge bass. It would be the only criticism I would have of them that they are a little light in this area. I had being using SA1530's and the positrons are to my ear a postive improvement .
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Re: Speakers

Post by Ivor »

I'm glad they worked out for you Tony. They are great speakers but not always to everyone's taste.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Spendors Proac and PMC

Post by tony »

Cant afford to change because I am smashed but looking cost nothing and I would like to try and identify what these are like for when funds become available. Spendor A6, PMCFB-1i and Proacstudio250s
Anybody use these or any experience of them? I dont think Cloneys stock pmc or proac and they are currently out of stock on the a6's.
These speakers or similar from these manufacturers are constantly being suggested/recommended. I really like the idea of the spendors and have listened to the A5 which sounds very nice. In case rats has made it to the forum,Very surprised if he hasnt, I will be bagging a listen to the castle howards advertised awhile ago on the cloney forum. Still think they may be too big regardless of the sound but you never know.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I was in a similiar place regarding speakers not so long ago tony and I auditioned the A6's but found them too clinical and cold....I eventually went for the A5's which were much better sounding (to my ear) and cheaper too....not that the price was a factor in the decision....I just felt that, to me, the A5's had a sound that I liked.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
tony

Post by tony »

Hi Fergus, Thats interesting.Did you audition at home? What kind of gear are you using? I dont want to audition at home yet as I would feel under pressure to commit and cant go near that position or I could be in big trouble at home. My room is a fairly standard sitting room approx 15x12.
Niall from Cloneys advised A6's far superior than the 5's but your view tallies with a few members from the cloneys forum.
Originally when I auditioned speakers in cloneys Niall showed the sa1530's and b&W 684 and 683's (not sure exactly) one was a standmounter and the other a floorstander about €900 I think. I liked the B&W floorstander that day. But it was my first look at hifi in nearly 30yrs so had low expectations. After I purchased a system I went back and checked out the spendors(5) and thought they were lovely. They are a hefty price so would want to be good. They are also quiet small. I was curious if other people had used the proac or pmc just to get some opin but nobody seems to have experience of them. Anyway at the end of my rant I am very happy with my 10-12yr old positrons and will give them a year before reviewing situation(translated into english before I reckon my boss will sanction further useless expenditure) Tony
fergus

Post by fergus »

Hi Tony,
First of all I auditioned in the shop....it was early in the day so there were no major interruptions and all was quiet. I actually tried the A6's first and then the A5's and I knew instantly that they were for me!
My room is also modest enough in size and the relatively small size of the A5's certainly helps in that department....they do not dominate. When I got the speakers home I was more than pleased and decided instantly to keep them. I was originally driving them with an Audio Puccini amp and I have subsequently added a power amp to my setup, which has really brought the speakers to life indeed!! So fear not that the size of these little babies will impede your sound in any way.
I should, by the way, mention that I listen practically exclusively nowadays to classical music in case that matters.
Good luck in your hunt!
tony

Post by tony »

Hi Fergus thanks for that. My taste would be very little classical but would concur with all the other reasons you choose the 5's. If I was jumping for the 6's it would only be on the basis of being bowled over by the sound. All the other reasons i.e size etc favour the 5's.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Let your ears decide, Tony....that is the best way in the long run....you will be happier that way too.