For viewing (as well as listening) pleasure...

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
meep

For viewing (as well as listening) pleasure...

Post by meep »

I hope it's not frowned upon to discuss visual media here?

I love live performance DVDs and am looking for some recommendations. Chief criteria is excellent sound quality but if they're easy on the eyes, I won't complain.

Here are some of my favourites to get the ball rolling.

Expansive yet intimate surround surround sound but image showing it's age.

David Byrne Live at Union Chapel. Some stone cold classics in this one.

Astonishing band, lots of lucious strings and Mick in fine & mellow mood. Sublime.

Voice of an angel. (cliché, I know)

And this one popped in my letterbox last week, no time to view yet but really looking forward to it;

Any others I should be looking out for?
tony

Re: For viewing (as well as listening) pleasure...

Post by tony »

Looking at your choices you should like these but would assume you are aware of them. I have seen some tom waits stuff when in record stores and found it very entertaining. Dont know which ones but he was holding a megaphone (now he does tend to do that a lot)
Have a Neil Young one from the late seventies and it is alright. I think a lot of live performances on video really only appeal to avid fans of a particular artist.Even at that how many times can you watch the same show? To me it is not like listening to the music over and over but maybe if I had a dedicated cinema room my opinion would be different

Image visual and musical treat. Best ever?

Image Worth watching to see how his show changes so much.Plenty visual stuff going on here.

Image Remember liking this back in the day don't know what it would look like now.

Anything by AC/DC if you have a dedicated cinema system. When they set off the canons onto of the speakers before/during encore your house will probably fall down!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Re: For viewing (as well as listening) pleasure...

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote:.... I have seen some tom waits stuff when in record stores and found it very entertaining. Dont know which ones but he was holding a megaphone (now he does tend to do that a lot)...

that's probably Big Time (some of which was recorded in the Olympia if I recall correctly) and it's only ever been released on VHS but there are one or two good conversions to DVD out there on the 'net. Not that we approve of such things.

There's a few others which are really "fan only" dvds. Anything involving music "critic" Patrick Humphries should be avoided. He knows nothing and understands less.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable