Cork Jazz Fest

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Cork Jazz Fest

Post by markof »

Anyone else coming to Cork for the Jazz this weekend.

I'm looking forward to:
Roy Hargrove Quintet & Gregory Porter
Miles Smiles & Chris Dave & The Drumhedz
Taraf De Haidouks

You know, live music is the best hi-fi you can experience :-)
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Re: Cork Jazz Fest

Post by cybot »

markof wrote:Anyone else coming to Cork for the Jazz this weekend.

I'm looking forward to:
Taraf De Haidouks

Enjoy :)
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

I'm looking forward to:
Taraf De Haidouks

"Live music is the best HIFI........." ,

I saw Tord Gustavson a couple of years ago at the Everyman and that was certainly the case. When he was intruducing/crediting the group members he accorded his sound engineer the same status, and I could see why.
Enjoy the festival !
Seán

Post by Seán »

I'm looking forward to:
Taraf De Haidouks

'fraid not, I haven't been in years. In the late seventies and early eighties it was a magnificent festival and attracted many interesting performers, it does not interest me now. I'd go down to see the VJO perform in Cork, that's about it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
markof

Post by markof »

Seán wrote:

I'm looking forward to:
Taraf De Haidouks

'fraid not, I haven't been in years. In the late seventies and early eighties it was a magnificent festival and attracted many interesting performers, it does not interest me now. I'd go down to see the VJO perform in Cork, that's about it.

Well another one just about over now.
Highlights at all the gigs I attended:
Youngish violinist with the Taraf De Haidouks - virtuoso performer, nothing this guy couldn't do. The dance performed by the senior violinist (probably in his 80's) was just awesome - think of the wedding band in the Godfather.
Wonderful tone and clarity from Gregory Porter - a cross-over sound, soul/gospel/jazz, especially fine on Cannonball's Work Song.
Very classy act from Roy Hargrove - 60's bop sound with lots of cool and inspired soloing - no wonder the guy has a couple of Grammys.
The guitarist with the Drumheadz, Tim Stewart, was the standout musician in all the gigs I was at - Louis Stewart to Robert Fripp to Jimi Hendrix - no problem for this guy, who I guess in in his twenties/early thirties.
Joey Di Francesco in the Miles Smiles outfit - really fantastic - king of the Hammond.

Overall a great weekend of live jazz - exhausted now.

As the Duke said - only two types of music, good and not so good. This was all good.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

markof wrote:
Seán wrote:

I'm looking forward to:
Taraf De Haidouks

Well another one just about over now.
Highlights at all the gigs I attended:
Youngish violinist with the Taraf De Haidouks - virtuoso performer, nothing this guy couldn't do. The dance performed by the senior violinist (probably in his 80's) was just awesome - think of the wedding band in the Godfather.
Wonderful tone and clarity from Gregory Porter - a cross-over sound, soul/gospel/jazz, especially fine on Cannonball's Work Song.
Very classy act from Roy Hargrove - 60's bop sound with lots of cool and inspired soloing - no wonder the guy has a couple of Grammys.
The guitarist with the Drumheadz, Tim Stewart, was the standout musician in all the gigs I was at - Louis Stewart to Robert Fripp to Jimi Hendrix - no problem for this guy, who I guess in in his twenties/early thirties.
Joey Di Francesco in the Miles Smiles outfit - really fantastic - king of the Hammond.

Overall a great weekend of live jazz - exhausted now.

As the Duke said - only two types of music, good and not so good. This was all good.

Mark.
I am delighted you enjoyed it Mark.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
cybot

Post by cybot »

Looks like you had a ball Mark :)