Pre-launch of new range of Ciúnas Dacs & USB transports

jkeny

Re: Pre-launch of new range of Ciúnas Dacs & USB transports

Post by jkeny »

Claus wrote:Great news John!
I have the JKDAC and would like to try this one out if you need the feedback and direct comparison . I am running Macbook Pro with Audirvana Plus.
Claus
OK, Claus, can you email me with your address, please & we can make arrangements?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Hi John, here's the first impressions. Picked up the Ciunas as arranged , got it home , and plugged it in. I decided to make some listening notes and they are below giving some points I found notable.

Summary:Overall ,to be brief,the sound is atmospheric, detailed and more three-dimensional. Instruments are more clearly positioned and are more musical in themselves. The total sound is very involving and enjoyable. Stuff like cymbals give a fantastic smash, a real highlight. In comparison to the JKDAC32 it's a really significant improvement. I've listened to it for about four hours now without a break and it's a real pleasure.
One small improvement tip, could you label the product saying what it is and what's the applied voltage etc. Even if it's hand written on a label it might stop someone (like me with a JKDAC32/9-12V) frying it with wrong power .

Equipment:Jplay V5.1, 2PC ,W8, Total Commander, headless, UltraStream, Wireless+Ethernet, Adnaco S3b, Elijah USB cable, JKCiunasDac, Nordost Heimdall interconnect and speaker cables, Music First Pre, Gamut D200III Power, Focal JMLab Electra speakers..

Installation. Driver downloaded from Amanero.com, straightforward installation. Ran Jplay Settings on Control PC and immediately picked up Amanero KS on MusicPC.

Listening Notes.

16Bit/44.1kHz: Cassandra Wilson/BlueLight 'Til Dawn/Full Album :Airy detail, three dimensional sound, soundstage depth impression.

16Bit/44.1kHz:Illinois Jacquet /Birthday Party/Full Album: Very wide soundstage,driving drumming. Separate ,distinct instruments. Tuneful bass.

16Bit/44.1kHz: Gerry Mulligan meets BenWebster/ /Chelsea Bridge( alternate take).feeling of baritone sax dynamics,Languid sound , piano accompaniment distinct,wide soundstage. Deep bass accompaniment.

16Bit/44.1kHz: Hiromi Uehara/Place to Be/Choux a la Creme. Very deep rolling piano bass,crisp piano sound.Wide soundstage. Bass reproduction excellent and tuneful.

24bit/96kHz: Diana Krall/The Girl in the other Room/Temptation. Deep bass and tinkling percussion together. Crisp crack of cymbals.

24bit/96kHz:Marta Gomez/Entre Cada Palabre/Cielito Lindo.Smooth , musical dynamic, beautiful.

24bit/88kHz: Harry Big Daddy Hypolite/Louisana Country Boy/Big Bad Girl. Distinct vocals, locations of support musicians.

24bit/144kHz: The Eagles/Hotel California/Hotel California. Most distinct instruments. Wallop of drums/cymbals.

Great work.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Ken,
You echo what I had heard myself but I have to stop myself from waxing too lyrical about it or some might mistake it for sales pitch over-hyping :)

Don't worry about the 9-12V , it will handle that PS input too but you made me realise that I didn't include a USB charger cable with it. It is designed to work from 5V USB (while playing) also so no worry about battery charge.

Along with the new Jplay & an optimised audio PC I sincerely believe that we are ready to scale new heights (if that isn't over-waxing?).

BTW, I'm not sure if your one was already burnt in here so you may have some more changes ahead?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

That's a glowing review. It will be next week before I can sit down and try the ciunas out. I think Kens points about putting some kind of label and instructions is a good idea. For the novices nervously considering the computer audio route an A-B-C instruction guide for installing this and setting up a home network for streaming should be put up as a sticky on the forum. I have come across a lot of people who are just scared off by this stuff. The cost in hifi terms to implement this type of setup is reachable for more people and it should be made as easy as possible for those that are interested in that route to get involved.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

There's probably some volunteer on this forum who has some graphic design capability and could design you a nice logo, gratis of course! A logo, a product identifier, and a contact website on the package would go a long way in your marketing strategy ,I think.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ken Moreland wrote:There's probably some volunteer on this forum who has some graphic design capability and could design you a nice logo, gratis of course! A logo, a product identifier, and a contact website on the package would go a long way in your marketing strategy ,I think.
KM
Ken, I had some ideas for the name/logo
- an Ear as the "C" in Ciúnas or
- a finger up to lips (shh) - the finger being the "i" & lips being the fada over the "u" in the name

What do you think? Anybody else got ideas or any idea of how to make either of these into a logo?
www.Ciunas.biz
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

There is definitely design talent on the forum but "gratis" might be pushing it.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ivor wrote:There is definitely design talent on the forum but "gratis" might be pushing it.
Yea, I don't expect gratis. In fact I was thinking of getting a whole redesign of website + logos, etc.
If anybody is interested in this, give me a shout.
www.Ciunas.biz
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

jkeny wrote:a finger up...
Genuinely worried for a moment there!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

What platform or program is the website currently on? My son is in to all this at 11. If you could get him access to a copy of the current set up I can let him at it and see what happens. Current weekly pocket money is €3. His hourly rate should be affordable! and of course you would have to have it performance related. Nothing delivered.Zero pocket money.

Looks like Simon will be working in the legal department?

I will take management of software engineers. What type of company car comes with that role?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.