ATC scm19

Matt

ATC scm19

Post by Matt »

I had a bit of an accident on new years eve and melted the voice coils of my PMC DB1i's bass drivers.
needless to say i was pretty annoyed wanted to change them rather than fix them.
So i went on a hunt for some bomb proof speakers that would handle a bit more and give me the precise studio like sound i like. ATC was the obvious choice.

The bass driver in the scm19 is their SL spec driver and weighs in at 9kg and has a 300watt power handling.
SCM19 driver.jpg
SCM19 driver.jpg (13.9 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
The whole speaker weighs 16kg and is finished in a light cherry veneer
SCM19Pair.jpg
SCM19Pair.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
I bought the speakers from Audio emotion in Scotland who did me a very good deal on them.
These are simply stunning speakers but need lots of running in and a powerful amp to be heard at their best.
Im using my Krell kav300i to great effect but i wish i still had my old FPB200. I think i will end up buying another FPB200 when i have the money.
Ill write a full review in a couple of weeks. Ive had them since mid january and have about 250hrs on them but have been told to expect 400hrs break in time.
Arcam Cd33, Vdh The Integration, ATC CA2, Gotham GAC-2v1 XLR, ATC scm50asl
Ken Moreland

Re: ATC scm19

Post by Ken Moreland »

Matt, welcome back to the new forum. Tell us how you fried your speakers for our future benefit.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hi Ken, thanks for the welcome.
I was playing Dance music a little close to the limit of the DB1i's ability on new years eve before i went to the pub for midnight.
I left the stereo on but with the volume at zero and cd player stopped while we went out.

When we returned there was only output from the tweeters. The bass drivers had melted in place as if somebody had glued them. They wouldn't move when pushed gently. A slightly firmer push freed them up but it was the end of the rroad for the drivers.

So i came to the conclusion that the 150w Krell put too much current into the 150w DB1i's and generated too much heat in the voice coil, which, when left idle while i was out, fused the fine copper wire coil together.

I was going to fix them(at a cost of £85 per driver plus postage) to sell but ended up putting them on ebay in the semi working condition and sold them for 325euro. So i figured i did ok as it wouldn't have got much more than €500 for them in working order.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Melting PMCs of any sort is kind of a badge of honour...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:Melting PMCs of any sort is kind of a badge of honour...
<<thumbs up>>
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Matt

Post by Matt »

Good to see a forum back up and running with all the old members.
Im not sure if deserve a badge of honour or a badge of stupidity.
Here's a picture i took of the DB1i driver
Image0132.jpg
(241.7 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
You can see how small it is compared to the ATC driver
atc 20sl bass driver.jpg
(70.17 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
The ATC's are a sealed box design so sensitivity is a low 85db but in practice they are louder at any particular amp setting than the 87db DB1i's. Impedance is for the most part 8ohm's, with a low of 4.6ohm's i think it is.